Fantastic Food Friday!

Well, it's actually Saturday, but we're going to pretend that I didn't have a super busy day yesterday and that I wasn't too exhausted last night to post this {chuckle!}. We started out day yesterday at Little Tikes Toy Company which is based in Hudson, Ohio, not far from us. I go there every few months to be part of focus groups on toys they are thinking of introducing, thinking of changing in some way, or are developing and need parental input for. It is so fun to see the latest toys and I get a $100 gift certificate for Little Tikes toys each time I go for my hour or so of time spent there!

After the focus group we went to a playground with a picnic where we played (and I chatted!) with friends and ate lunch. Then we went to Coldstone Creamery on a field trip with our NHPP group where the children got to see how they make their ice cream and then they helped mix up a 'kids creation' for themselves. It was a fun-filled morning, but that was only the half of it. I was busy around the house all afternoon while the gilrs napped and then I went to a jewelry party last night. Whew, so that's why this post is a little late :) Forgive me, please!

I've had some requests for the following recipes, the first of which we serve at almost every party and get-together we host! Enjoy...

Hummus (inspired by my mother-in-law Jan!)

2 cups drained, cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed sauce)
1 onion, diced
2 umeboshi plums
1 Tbs. chopped scallions
1/3 cup sauerkraut juice from a can or spring water

Grind the cooked chickpeas in a sruibachi, blender or food processor (food processor works best!)

Add the rest of the ingredients listed above except for scallions and mix well

Remove from suribachi / blender / processor and stir in the scallions by hand

Serve with pita bread, sourdough bread pieces, crackers or raw veggies

**You could add one or two cloves of garlic, or other spices to taste, but this is really just perfect as is!

Homemade Pizza (inspired by Kevin, our friend)

CRUST:

2 Tsp yeast
300 mL warm water
1 L plain flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Mix first two ingredients in a small bowl

In a separate bowl, mix remaining three ingredients

Mix 2 bowls together and knead into ball shape

Cover the dough with a towel and place in dry place to rise for 2 1/2 to 3 hours

TOPPINGS & BAKING:

Once the dough has risen and is ready to work with, roll out your crust to desired thickness. We like really thin crust which then only takes 5-7 minutes to bake.

Add your preferred sauce--olive oil sauce, red sauce, white sauce

Add cheese and meat / veggies--anything that sounds appetizing to you!

Bake for 5-7 minutes for thin crust, 7-9 minutes for medium, 9-11 minutes for thick crust in an oven at 400

This is a great meal to have with friends because you can talk while making your pizzas and then everyone can try eachothers creations :)

Now that I've made myself hungry with all this food talk, I'm off to enjoy breakfast with my little ones!

Comments

Jillian said…
That pizza sounds so yummy I want to make it today!!

Popular Posts