Yummy Apple Crisp
Last night I went to my friend Shelley's house with about 25 other ladies for a girls-only after Christmas party. It was the most fun I've had all December and it was wonderful to see friends I haven't gotten to catch up with in awhile. We all took an appetizer or dessert to share so we ate, played a few games, ate, had a candle exchange, ate, talked and ate some more. Shelley was the most wonderful hostess (as always!) and I didn't want the night to end.
A few of my friends are requesting the recipe for the dessert I took to the party. I call this apple crisp, but it's not your traditional recipe...
Preheat oven to 375
Spray dish with non-stick spray (I use a 7-inch by 11-inch glass pyrex dish for mine; you could use a square or round baking dish, a pie plate, etc.)
Mix the following in a bowl:
Pour 3/4 cup melted butter or margarine over flour / sugar / oats / nut mixture and mix well.
Set aside 1 cup of mixture, press the rest onto the bottom and sides of your baking dish.
Peel, core & slice 5 apples. I use golden delicious apples for mine and recommend NOT using red delicious unless you like very mushy desserts; and I use the pampered chef peeler / corer / slicer which makes this step take less than 3 minutes, literally. If you're into baking or cooking with apples, I would highly recommend that fabulous kitchen gadget!
Lay apples in an even layer on top of your flour / sugar / oats / nuts crust in the baking dish.
In a small pot, combine:
Bring this mixture in your pot to a boil; once boiling stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and then pour hot mixture evenly over your apples.
Crumble the 1 cup of reserved flour / sugar / oats / nuts mixture on top.
Bake for 25 minutes uncovered, then cover with foil and bake another 15 minutes. Best served hot, reheats as leftovers pretty well later!
Don't blame me when eating this ruins your New Years Resolutions. Haha!
Thank you Shelley (and Lisa too!) for hosting and making last night such a special girls night out. I can't wait for the next one!
A few of my friends are requesting the recipe for the dessert I took to the party. I call this apple crisp, but it's not your traditional recipe...
Preheat oven to 375
Spray dish with non-stick spray (I use a 7-inch by 11-inch glass pyrex dish for mine; you could use a square or round baking dish, a pie plate, etc.)
Mix the following in a bowl:
2 cups flour
1 packed up brown sugar
1/2 cup regular oats (not quick kind)
2/3 cup chopped pecans
Pour 3/4 cup melted butter or margarine over flour / sugar / oats / nut mixture and mix well.
Set aside 1 cup of mixture, press the rest onto the bottom and sides of your baking dish.
Peel, core & slice 5 apples. I use golden delicious apples for mine and recommend NOT using red delicious unless you like very mushy desserts; and I use the pampered chef peeler / corer / slicer which makes this step take less than 3 minutes, literally. If you're into baking or cooking with apples, I would highly recommend that fabulous kitchen gadget!
Lay apples in an even layer on top of your flour / sugar / oats / nuts crust in the baking dish.
In a small pot, combine:
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Bring this mixture in your pot to a boil; once boiling stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and then pour hot mixture evenly over your apples.
Crumble the 1 cup of reserved flour / sugar / oats / nuts mixture on top.
Bake for 25 minutes uncovered, then cover with foil and bake another 15 minutes. Best served hot, reheats as leftovers pretty well later!
Don't blame me when eating this ruins your New Years Resolutions. Haha!
Thank you Shelley (and Lisa too!) for hosting and making last night such a special girls night out. I can't wait for the next one!


Comments