Tutorial Tuesday--A place for all those bows you're making!

I've been so flattered to hear that some of you have tried out making bows using my very first tutorial (see it here!).  By now, some of you may be looking for a place to keep all of those bows you're making, or at least a place to keep the bows and barrettes your daughter(s) own(s).

So today, I'll introduce you to one type of bow hanger.  There are many different types, but this one is my most recent favorite.  I first made one for Bristol to match her room, then made this one for my friend Rachel's baby girl:



A little later I made this one for my friend Megan's daughter:


And most recently, I needed to make one for little Piper, my friend's daughter who I used to babysit (if you remember those days, then I thank you from the bottom of my heart for following our blog for so long!!).

I snapped some photos as I put together Piper's bow board to show you how to make one yourself.  Please excuse the poor lighting of the following photos; I was in a hurry to make this and didn't realize the poor photo quality until it was too late.

First, gather your supplies:  scissors (do yourself a favor if you plan to do much w/ fabric and buy a pair of Gingers; those shown actually belong to my stepmom, but are on sale this week at JoAnn Fabrics for only $18!), glue gun, a frame of your choice (at least 15x15, but the larger the better), fabric of your choice, ribbon to match fabric, iron & ironing board, ruler and a writing tool.

**Some notes on fabric...I prefer my bow boards to match the child's bedroom perfectly so I have used pottery barn kids pillow cases, purchased extra fabric that matches the girl's bedroom perfectly, etc.  Just wanted to throw out the pillow case idea since it will be plenty large and the least expensive piece of a set to purchase.  Of course fabric from a craft store will be a thriftier way to do this, but I digress...



Using the glass from your frame, cut your fabric so that it's a half inch larger on all sides than the glass.




Iron the fabric on high heat; I recommend not using starch.


Heat up your glue gun while lying the glass from your frame centered on your fabric.  Begin putting a thin strip of glue at the edge of the glass and fold the fabric over.  Continue all the way around the fabric and glass making sure the fabric wraps tightly around the glass.





Now, measure your glass.  Ribbon should be placed 5-7 inches apart depending on the size of your frame.  I like to have at least 3 ribbons on my boards, though if you have a much larger frame you'll just have room for more ribbons and thus space to hang more bows and barrettes!

Mark where you are going to place your ribbons (equal distance from one another)--this is on the back of glass / fabric:



Mark at the top and bottom of your frame:


Cut your ribbon about 1 1/2 inches longer than your frame.  Cut enough pieces for what you are going to put on your hanger (in my case, 3):


Put three dabs of glue where you have marked the ribbon to go and glue down the ribbon:


Now wrap your ribbon around the front of your frame:


Pull each ribbon snug and glue down the other side:



The front of your board should now look like this:


Frame your board:


And finally, hang your bows on the board:


Hang the board in your little girl's room and fill it with bows you make just for her!

Comments

Popular Posts