My calling & Why blog?
I've often thought this and perhaps have shared it with you all in this avenue before, but I wanted to share it again today after receiving so many touching comments and compliments on my facebook page recently.
I truly feel that motherhood was my calling. I once heard that if you look back at your childhood and what you were passionate about then, that you should make that your career. As a child, my passion shined through most when it came to playing "house" and "dolls." I played with baby dolls far longer than any of my friends--until about age 13. Having younger sisters to play with made for a perfect set-up for me.
I babysat beginning at age 11 and LOVED caring for children of all ages. The children I babysat for meant so much to me that they were a big part of my wedding as not only ring bearer and flower girls, but also as our wedding pianists. Yes, we opted to have pre-teens play the music during our wedding over a hired professional pianist. THAT'S how much they meant to me.
Growing up, I could not wait to have children and to do all of the things I thought moms should do. I couldn't wait to snuggle my newborns, to take my children to do fun family activities, to read them stories and teach them how to do things, and to take care of them in every way possible. I never imagined that I would have the incredible opportunity of being a stay-at-home mom (and DEFINITELY did not think that could ever be possible at age 23!), so I always imagined juggling children and a job, though my ultimate dream was always to stay home with them.
So as I look back in my past, I have truly realized that motherhood is truly God's calling for my life. I LOVE the opportunities I've had with my children and am so thankful that I've not only been able to be a mom to three beautiful girls, but also that I've been blessed to stay home and make being a mom my FULL TIME career.
Many people have told me that I'm a good mom and I appreciate these compliments more than they could ever know. As a mom, I don't have a boss to give me feedback and yearly reviews and raises for good performance. I rely on support from my husband and the amazing support of fellow mom friends--these things keep me going. I've realized the importance of mom's groups for this aspect of my motherhood career. Compliments from non-mommy-friends are the ultimate icing on the cake. They always MAKE . MY . DAY. :)
The compliments that people share with me though mean even more than a typical compliment. They are assurance that I absolutely am in the right job; my calling really is to be a mom to these three awesome girls. I'm a good mom because I'm so passionate about it. I make every single day count and try to make as many good memories with my children as I possibly can. I am purposeful in my parenting--every decision I make for my children has meaning and philosophy behind it. I think through each decision I make in a day whether it's what to have for lunch or how to add an educational component to re-reading the same story I've ready 5 times this week or to playing the same game we've played a gazillion times before. I put my whole self into everything I can with my girls and try to be present in the moments that make up our everyday. To me, the opportunity to be a full-time mom means that I need to put everything into this career that I possibly can. Afterall, these girls are only young once and I only have these few short years to shape them into the amazing young women I envision they will be one day. And furthermore, I will REALLY miss these years one day!
In an effort to make every moment count for my children and I, I have made this blog more about preserving our family memories than anything else. I would love to have the time to sit down and hand-write journals of each special moment with my girls, but let's face it, my hand muscles are far too weak these days and typing is much faster :) Additionally, I take LOTS of photos of my children and by posting stories and details alongside our photos, I will be able to later copy and paste blog posts into scrapbooks for our family.
So to me, the purpose behind my blog is to have an electronic scrapbook of sorts. I love looking back at old posts and I look forward to making my blog posts a part of more tangible photo albums. Yes, I love to share tutorials and things about myself, and to link up with my favorite bloggers on occasion, but the main purpose here is to have a place to share our memories.
Part of my job is not only to make everyday count, but also to keep track of the special things my girls do and the milestones they hit so that they and I can look back on these days fondly. Since motherhood is my passion and my calling, I want to make sure I create a record of this career to cherish when these days are behind us.
Enjoy this journey with us and skip over any parts you may find boring. Ask questions, share your own stories and implement ideas I share in your own homes and families. This is our life and we love these moments so much that we're choosing to share it while we live it :)
Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love. ~Mildred B. Vermont
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh
If you have a mom, there is nowhere you are likely to go where a prayer has not already been. ~Robert Brault
When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty
The formative period for building character for eternity is in the nursery. The mother is queen of that realm and sways a scepter more potent than that of kings or priests. ~Author Unknown
Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease. ~Lisa Alther
I truly feel that motherhood was my calling. I once heard that if you look back at your childhood and what you were passionate about then, that you should make that your career. As a child, my passion shined through most when it came to playing "house" and "dolls." I played with baby dolls far longer than any of my friends--until about age 13. Having younger sisters to play with made for a perfect set-up for me.
I babysat beginning at age 11 and LOVED caring for children of all ages. The children I babysat for meant so much to me that they were a big part of my wedding as not only ring bearer and flower girls, but also as our wedding pianists. Yes, we opted to have pre-teens play the music during our wedding over a hired professional pianist. THAT'S how much they meant to me.
Growing up, I could not wait to have children and to do all of the things I thought moms should do. I couldn't wait to snuggle my newborns, to take my children to do fun family activities, to read them stories and teach them how to do things, and to take care of them in every way possible. I never imagined that I would have the incredible opportunity of being a stay-at-home mom (and DEFINITELY did not think that could ever be possible at age 23!), so I always imagined juggling children and a job, though my ultimate dream was always to stay home with them.
So as I look back in my past, I have truly realized that motherhood is truly God's calling for my life. I LOVE the opportunities I've had with my children and am so thankful that I've not only been able to be a mom to three beautiful girls, but also that I've been blessed to stay home and make being a mom my FULL TIME career.
Many people have told me that I'm a good mom and I appreciate these compliments more than they could ever know. As a mom, I don't have a boss to give me feedback and yearly reviews and raises for good performance. I rely on support from my husband and the amazing support of fellow mom friends--these things keep me going. I've realized the importance of mom's groups for this aspect of my motherhood career. Compliments from non-mommy-friends are the ultimate icing on the cake. They always MAKE . MY . DAY. :)
The compliments that people share with me though mean even more than a typical compliment. They are assurance that I absolutely am in the right job; my calling really is to be a mom to these three awesome girls. I'm a good mom because I'm so passionate about it. I make every single day count and try to make as many good memories with my children as I possibly can. I am purposeful in my parenting--every decision I make for my children has meaning and philosophy behind it. I think through each decision I make in a day whether it's what to have for lunch or how to add an educational component to re-reading the same story I've ready 5 times this week or to playing the same game we've played a gazillion times before. I put my whole self into everything I can with my girls and try to be present in the moments that make up our everyday. To me, the opportunity to be a full-time mom means that I need to put everything into this career that I possibly can. Afterall, these girls are only young once and I only have these few short years to shape them into the amazing young women I envision they will be one day. And furthermore, I will REALLY miss these years one day!
In an effort to make every moment count for my children and I, I have made this blog more about preserving our family memories than anything else. I would love to have the time to sit down and hand-write journals of each special moment with my girls, but let's face it, my hand muscles are far too weak these days and typing is much faster :) Additionally, I take LOTS of photos of my children and by posting stories and details alongside our photos, I will be able to later copy and paste blog posts into scrapbooks for our family.
So to me, the purpose behind my blog is to have an electronic scrapbook of sorts. I love looking back at old posts and I look forward to making my blog posts a part of more tangible photo albums. Yes, I love to share tutorials and things about myself, and to link up with my favorite bloggers on occasion, but the main purpose here is to have a place to share our memories.
Part of my job is not only to make everyday count, but also to keep track of the special things my girls do and the milestones they hit so that they and I can look back on these days fondly. Since motherhood is my passion and my calling, I want to make sure I create a record of this career to cherish when these days are behind us.
Enjoy this journey with us and skip over any parts you may find boring. Ask questions, share your own stories and implement ideas I share in your own homes and families. This is our life and we love these moments so much that we're choosing to share it while we live it :)
Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love. ~Mildred B. Vermont
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh
If you have a mom, there is nowhere you are likely to go where a prayer has not already been. ~Robert Brault
When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty
The formative period for building character for eternity is in the nursery. The mother is queen of that realm and sways a scepter more potent than that of kings or priests. ~Author Unknown
Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease. ~Lisa Alther




































Comments