Independence Day & Fantastic Food Friday

Hi Strangers :)

This weekend it is my mission to catch you up a little bit on what's been happening at our house! I thought I'd start with one of my favorite holidays of the year: Independence Day! We always go to Lake Erie and this year was the best yet.

Jaden and Sienna got to "ride" on the jetski before Daddy and Papa launched it into the lake for the second time this year. You see, it was launched two months ago and then while Scott was riding it one day it started to sink! The problem, we discovered, was with the jetski's cooling system which was taking in water and causing the ski to get really heavy and begin sinking. SCARY!! We're fortunate now that the jetski was fixed and we even got to ride it for about an hour together (just Scott & I!) over July 4th weekend :)

Jaden and Sienna wore their festive Independence Day dresses which Grandma Jan got for them. They looked so darn cute and when I asked them to pose for a quick picture before we took the boat out for a ride, they not only obliged, but held hands...ahh! They are becoming so close these days and I love it!

After our first of TWO July 4th boat rides, we took a quick family pic on the lakehouse deck. No, Scott and I did not wear the lovely Independence Day headgear all day, but we sure looked cute when we did put it on, eh? ha!

As if the lakehouse wasn't beautiful enough during the day, I couldn't resist capturing how gorgeous and serene it looks at sunset as we drove out to watch the fireworks. The sky was so beautiful as we boated out towards Cedar Point.

See the fires on the beach? We saw many of them as we boated towards the place where we would anchor to watch the fireworks. Many of the houses hosting the fires were also setting off big fireworks displays themselves before the big show which was quite entertaining as we waited. Jaden and Sienna were a bit alarmed by the loud noice of the fireworks, but everyone really enjoyed themselves as the sky was lit up in a rainbow of beautiful colors. My mom joined us for the 4th and it was truly a weekend to remember!

Several friends of ours experienced fireworks of a different kind over the July 4th weekend. On July 2nd, Baby K was born to our friends Andy and Mandy. While Mandy was in labor, our friends Todd and Hilary arrived at the hospital to be induced because Hilary was having a couple of problems, and they had Baby T (who was born happy and healthy despite any issues Hilary was experiencing!!) on July 3rd. And finally, our friends Wayne & Bobbi welcomed Baby C into the world on July 4th after a very long labor! Now how's that for celebrating Independence Day with a newfound independence for these mamas and babes?!?! hehe! So one reason for not blogging much lately is that I've been busy making meals for these families who have new babies! ...and visiting with them :)

Now onto Fantastic Food Friday! Today I just wanted to share some 'summery' dessert recipes since I just described one of our most fun weekends of the summer!

Homemade Watermelon Pops (Inspired by my friend Sheena!):
1 1/2 cups diced watermelon
1/2 cup water
couple of mint leaves, minced

Blend ingredients in a blender and pour into popsicle molds. Freeze and enjoy!

An idea I couldn't wait to share with you all is something I read about in a parenting book or magazine. It suggested that one night each summer to start the tradition of having just a big ice cream sundae or cone for dinner. This would be SO hard for me because I try to feed my children balanced meals, but I think in the next few years that we'll have to implement it! So some ideas I had for 'different' ice cream sundaes would be:

Birthday Cake Ice Cream Sundae:
Put a small piece of cake on bottom, top with ice cream, whipped cream, tons of sprinkles & hot fudge!

"Dirt-y" Ice Cream Sundae:
Put chocolate ice cream in a bowl, top with crushed oreos, whipped cream and plenty of gummy worms!

S'mores Ice Cream Sundae:
Vanilla ice cream topped with crushed graham crackers, hot fudge and mini marshmallows!

--or-- just buy tons of ice cream toppings and sprinkles and let your kids make their own!
Have a wonderful summer evening everyone!

Comments

I'm loving the sunset pic!

Popular Posts