My Daddy

If there is any "bad" day in the Spring, it is today. For me, at least. And no, it has nothing to do with filing taxes.

On this day, April 15th, in 1999, my life was turned upside down. I was 16 years old and woke up as if it were any other normal day, got ready for school, and then stopped suddenly as I realized something was terribly wrong. My heart races even as I type this, because what I found was that my father had unexpectedly passed away. Today marks the 10-year anniversary of this incredibly painful day.



Dad & I right before my Junior year homecoming dance, one of our last photos together

But today, I am choosing to rejoice. In the past 10 years I have missed my Daddy so much, especially during the important milestones--high school graduation, meeting my husband, college graduation, our wedding and the births of my two daughters to whom I know my Daddy would've been an incredible Grandpa. While he cannot be with me and our family here on earth, I know that he looks over all of us from heaven and I look forward to the day when we can celebrate being together once again.

So why rejoice? Because everything here on earth has been preplanned by God for me. Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) reads, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." And 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 tells me, "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." I know that God had a plan for my life before my Dad passed away and I know that plan is still going strong and is still purposeful. Had I not lost my Daddy, so many things would be different in my life...I'm 99% sure I would not have gone to Ohio University, so I would've never met my husband Scott, and I would not have my two amazing, joyful daughters. Having not met Scott, I would not be here in Northern Ohio, I would not be blessed with his wonderful family which I have embraced as my own, and I would not have met all of the wonderful people I've become friends with here. So while I miss my Daddy all the time, I have found so much happiness in the things that have come about after his death. I am incredibly fortunate, despite having been through something horrible and indescribable.

Daddy, I love you and I miss you. I wish you were here to experience your granddaughters with me because they are so amazing. Thank you so much for all you did in raising me to be the woman I am today. You forever live in my heart and I look forward to the day we meet again. Butterfly kisses to you, xoxo...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Bethany, I miss your daddy(my brother) so much too.Theres one very special person who helped me get through that the most and that person is you.Watching you grow into the most beautiful women, wife and mommy has been such an inspiration to me after everything you have been through. you are my favorite neice,I when you were little I thought of you as one of my own and now you are like a best friend. I am sooo proud of you and I know your daddy is watching down on you and your little family just as proud as can be. God has surely blessed you, I love you and your family very much,Aunt Lori
Rachel said…
I remember this :( I loved hearing "Eddie" stories and was looking forward to meeting him one day. He seemed like such a fun person and what a neat dad to have!
Anonymous said…
WOW...I think of your dad and was just thinking how when I was young he took me to prom! Who would ever have thought what transpired. I am so proud of you and your DAD loved you so much! He would have been such a good granpa...now he gets to be guardian angel! Everything happens for a reason...I know you inspire so many people including me by your great attitude and love for frends and family!...Proud to be your MOM

Popular Posts