A Letter to my Daughter
My Dearest Jaden,
On Monday we went to your preschool interview at Hudson Montessori School. You could not have been any more excited as we arrived and walked into your future learning grounds. You felt comfortable right away in the tiny waiting area and were curious about the children in the middle-school wing who were making quite a commotion after eating their lunch. You wanted to run towards them and be a part of them, and never for a single second did it occur to you that they were at least twice your size and quadruple your age. You are just so enthusiastic about starting school and being with the "big kids."
When it was time to begin your interview, we walked with a preschool teacher back to her classroom. On the way several students came up to the teacher to give her a hug, and I swear you would've done the same because you were so enthralled with the idea of school, teacher and classroom of your own. We admired the class fish and then I took a seat in the hallway so that you could be "interviewed." I have to admit, I was pretty nervous on your behalf, but you were completely oblivious to making any type of impression. I suppose you didn't need to worry about going out of your way to impress the preschool teacher--your personality and enthusiasm for learning were enough to make an impact.
Alone in the classroom, you and the preschool teacher did a few educational tasks together--putting pegs into a puzzle-like board in order of size, disassembling and then reassembling a tiny flashlight, working with colored tiles building patterned lines resembling train tracks and sorting the tiles by color. The teacher set an example by pushing in her chair and putting away each item as you finished with it and you followed suit. It melted my heart seeing my little girl push in her own chair so independently. You were having so much fun and near the end of your "interview" you noticed an easel and exclaimed, "I want to paint!" The teacher explained that you didn't have enough time today and I told you on your way out that we might be able to paint at home this week. It just amazed me how comfortable you were learning in this new environment, completing new tasks and being independent. I don't even know if you realized I was out of sight.
As we walked towards the entrance / exit, the teacher assured me that she was just looking for school readiness skills and you displayed those in less than five minutes. She did not say right away whether you'd been accepted which made me incredibly nervous, but told me to expect a phone call or a letter in the mail to that regard. I knew you had done a fantastic job, had made an incredible first impression, and were definitely school-ready. The English language does not have words to discribe how amazed and proud I was of you.
Last evening as Daddy and I went through the daily mail, we came upon a thick envelope from Hudson Montessori. Reading the enclosed cover letter was better than any college acceptance I ever recieved--"I am delighted to inform you that Jaden has been accepted into our Children's House program for the 2009-2010 school year. I extend a warm welcome on behalf of the entire Hudson Montessori School community..." You did it, my amazing daughter! You officially will be a little school girl beginning this fall. You will dress yourself in your adorable skirts, walk confidently into your classroom, and learn loads of information well beyond what my own mind could embrace. You will make friends to have sleepovers with, and build relationships with teachers who will serve as mentors over the rest of your lifetime. O yes, and my dearest Jaden, I will miss you terribly for those few hours you'll be away from me each day. I love you and cannot wait to see you embark on this new journey.
Love,
Mommy

On Monday we went to your preschool interview at Hudson Montessori School. You could not have been any more excited as we arrived and walked into your future learning grounds. You felt comfortable right away in the tiny waiting area and were curious about the children in the middle-school wing who were making quite a commotion after eating their lunch. You wanted to run towards them and be a part of them, and never for a single second did it occur to you that they were at least twice your size and quadruple your age. You are just so enthusiastic about starting school and being with the "big kids."
When it was time to begin your interview, we walked with a preschool teacher back to her classroom. On the way several students came up to the teacher to give her a hug, and I swear you would've done the same because you were so enthralled with the idea of school, teacher and classroom of your own. We admired the class fish and then I took a seat in the hallway so that you could be "interviewed." I have to admit, I was pretty nervous on your behalf, but you were completely oblivious to making any type of impression. I suppose you didn't need to worry about going out of your way to impress the preschool teacher--your personality and enthusiasm for learning were enough to make an impact.
Alone in the classroom, you and the preschool teacher did a few educational tasks together--putting pegs into a puzzle-like board in order of size, disassembling and then reassembling a tiny flashlight, working with colored tiles building patterned lines resembling train tracks and sorting the tiles by color. The teacher set an example by pushing in her chair and putting away each item as you finished with it and you followed suit. It melted my heart seeing my little girl push in her own chair so independently. You were having so much fun and near the end of your "interview" you noticed an easel and exclaimed, "I want to paint!" The teacher explained that you didn't have enough time today and I told you on your way out that we might be able to paint at home this week. It just amazed me how comfortable you were learning in this new environment, completing new tasks and being independent. I don't even know if you realized I was out of sight.
As we walked towards the entrance / exit, the teacher assured me that she was just looking for school readiness skills and you displayed those in less than five minutes. She did not say right away whether you'd been accepted which made me incredibly nervous, but told me to expect a phone call or a letter in the mail to that regard. I knew you had done a fantastic job, had made an incredible first impression, and were definitely school-ready. The English language does not have words to discribe how amazed and proud I was of you.
Last evening as Daddy and I went through the daily mail, we came upon a thick envelope from Hudson Montessori. Reading the enclosed cover letter was better than any college acceptance I ever recieved--"I am delighted to inform you that Jaden has been accepted into our Children's House program for the 2009-2010 school year. I extend a warm welcome on behalf of the entire Hudson Montessori School community..." You did it, my amazing daughter! You officially will be a little school girl beginning this fall. You will dress yourself in your adorable skirts, walk confidently into your classroom, and learn loads of information well beyond what my own mind could embrace. You will make friends to have sleepovers with, and build relationships with teachers who will serve as mentors over the rest of your lifetime. O yes, and my dearest Jaden, I will miss you terribly for those few hours you'll be away from me each day. I love you and cannot wait to see you embark on this new journey.
Love,
Mommy




Comments