I Heart Weekends at HOME

This long holiday weekend has been awesome so far, and I keep thinking about how much I love quiet weekends at home.  This is the first weekend in months that we haven't either been traveling or had at least 2 big events or commitments on our calendar.  It is like a breath of fresh air to be able to relax, hang out, get stuff done around the house and have fun as a family--all without a schedule.

As I've thought about how much I've enjoyed the past two days I've also recalled how much I used to enjoy the go-go-go lifestyle.  When I was in college, when we first got married and when we had just Jaden I was always on the run.  When I first became a mom I couldn't get enough of playdates, moms group events, day trips to visit my aunts, grandparents, sisters and step-mom an hour away, lunch dates, trips out to a store and so forth.  I went to Columbus to see my mom, brother and sister as much as I could and I planned "girls weekends" with my college girlfriends to celebrate bachelorette parties and birthdays and also "just because."  When I wasn't on-the-go I felt bored and I remember feeling like I wish I had more to do during this phase of my life.

Flash forward 5 or 6 years and oh what I would do to experience boredom for a day!  Ha!  Our life has changed so much (all good things!) in these few short years.  Now that I spend a few evenings each week running kids around to different activities and now that our weekends are jam-packed with both child-centered and adult events, I cherish the weekends like this one when we have several consecutive days free of commitments.  Yesterday and today, whenever the mood strikes, I've been able to sit down and play a game with my girls.  When I feel like hopping on the internet to check email or look something up, I've been able to.  When I've needed to clean something up, I've been able to take my time and not feel rushed at all.  When the girls have asked me to read them a story, I haven't had to check the time to make sure I can give them a few minutes for the story and still have time to hurry out the door to get somewhere.  I've been able to stay in my pajamas for as long as I feel like and snuggle up on the couch with my warm blanket for as long as I've wanted to in the mornings as we all wake up and at night as we all settle down before bed.  I have LOVED every minute of it!

I know that in the phase of life we're in, free weekends like this aren't going to come around very often.  I totally accept that and love that we have so many things to do to keep busy and to be surrounded by friends.  I do hope that as we enter the Christmas season and then begin the new year that we can try to have one uncommitted weekend per month to relax and unwind.  That will be my goal, and with how great I feel about these past two days, more than ever I will strive to make it happen!

Have a great afternoon friends :)

Comments

Life Happens said…
Aren't those the BEST kind of weekends??!! Enjoy it!!