Disney Store has a new product line...and I'm not liking it!
If you are one of my IRL friends, then you may have seen my facebook status earlier today about children with glasses. I was upset last week after a trip to the mall when I saw products at the Disney Store that are degrading to children with glasses, like my little princess Jaden. Today I decided to take action.
The DISNEY store--of all places, the brand that professes to "make dreams come true"--is making a statement to our children that could turn kids with glasses dreams into nightmares.
We visited the Disney store at Polaris Fashion Place near Columbus last week. As Jaden and Sienna walked through the store showing me items they'd like for their upcoming birthdays and Christmas, we ended up at a large shelf / display of new products with Minnie & Mickey wearing glasses on them.
Jaden recently had to get glasses and my first thought was, how awesome a product line for her! She always feels special when she sees other children / characters / etc. wearing glasses like she does and she would love some of the products with Disney characters wearing glasses. Then I got a closer look...and saw that EVERY.SINGLE.PRODUCT says "I heart nerds" on it.
One such product is shown here: (http://www.disneystore.com/tees-clothes-long-sleeve-nerd-minnie-mouse-tee-for-girls/mp/1288043/1000228/?CMP=OTL-Dcom&att=Search_nerd)
That's just one of MANY things--shirts, stuffed animals, school supplies, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc.
I was immediately irate. My daughter, as well as every other little boy and girl who medically have to wear glasses are most certainly NOT nerds, nor should a huge corporation such as ever put out product that insinuates such thoughts. Thank goodness Jaden isn't reading quite yet and didn't notice the words on all of these products--her feelings truly would've been hurt.
There are millions of children who are ADORABLE and SASSY and CUTE in their glasses...why would Disney have to make them feel otherwise?
So here is what I did today, and I'm hoping you'll consider doing too. Go to http://www.disneystore.com/ and in the top right part of the page is a tab that says "contact us." Click on that and file a complaint about the new line. It's very easy to do. Only a sentence or two to get the point across is necessary. I especially think that every parent whose child has glasses is doing a disservice to our children not to file this complaint.
I realize that "nerdy" glasses are in and even that some kids who don't need glasses to see are making a statement by wearing funky glasses as part of their personal fashion. However, let's think about what age children are going to the Disney store... And while some kids are choosing to wear glasses, our kids don't have a choice. Disney needs to realize who they're affecting.
Will you take a moment to express to Disney that their new product line is extremely insensitive and degrading to some of the very children who love their characters? Little boys and girls, like my own Jadie-Girl would certainly appreciate it!
The DISNEY store--of all places, the brand that professes to "make dreams come true"--is making a statement to our children that could turn kids with glasses dreams into nightmares.
We visited the Disney store at Polaris Fashion Place near Columbus last week. As Jaden and Sienna walked through the store showing me items they'd like for their upcoming birthdays and Christmas, we ended up at a large shelf / display of new products with Minnie & Mickey wearing glasses on them.
Jaden recently had to get glasses and my first thought was, how awesome a product line for her! She always feels special when she sees other children / characters / etc. wearing glasses like she does and she would love some of the products with Disney characters wearing glasses. Then I got a closer look...and saw that EVERY.SINGLE.PRODUCT says "I heart nerds" on it.
One such product is shown here: (http://www.disneystore.com/tees-clothes-long-sleeve-nerd-minnie-mouse-tee-for-girls/mp/1288043/1000228/?CMP=OTL-Dcom&att=Search_nerd)
That's just one of MANY things--shirts, stuffed animals, school supplies, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc.
I was immediately irate. My daughter, as well as every other little boy and girl who medically have to wear glasses are most certainly NOT nerds, nor should a huge corporation such as ever put out product that insinuates such thoughts. Thank goodness Jaden isn't reading quite yet and didn't notice the words on all of these products--her feelings truly would've been hurt.
There are millions of children who are ADORABLE and SASSY and CUTE in their glasses...why would Disney have to make them feel otherwise?
So here is what I did today, and I'm hoping you'll consider doing too. Go to http://www.disneystore.com/ and in the top right part of the page is a tab that says "contact us." Click on that and file a complaint about the new line. It's very easy to do. Only a sentence or two to get the point across is necessary. I especially think that every parent whose child has glasses is doing a disservice to our children not to file this complaint.
I realize that "nerdy" glasses are in and even that some kids who don't need glasses to see are making a statement by wearing funky glasses as part of their personal fashion. However, let's think about what age children are going to the Disney store... And while some kids are choosing to wear glasses, our kids don't have a choice. Disney needs to realize who they're affecting.
Will you take a moment to express to Disney that their new product line is extremely insensitive and degrading to some of the very children who love their characters? Little boys and girls, like my own Jadie-Girl would certainly appreciate it!


Comments
Glad you took action!
I didn't include it in my email to them, but I find it interesting that there is only a girl's line for these {I'm sure it's because most boys wouldn't wear "I {heart} anything"}...but what is that message saying to young girls?! As I DID include in my email...poor, poor, choice, Disney.
Thanks for making me aware!
~kimberley
www.therescaffeineinmysippycup.blogspot.com