Back to school traditions

Today my very favorite blogger, Kelly, is hosting a blog hop with the topic being "back to school traditions."  I thought I would join in to share a few ideas I have as well as to read some other bloggers' posts and get ideas!

While we've been doing the back to school thing for two years now, this is technically our first year dealing with "real" school.  Jaden is going to be in kindergarten and as I type that I can't help but think, how can I already be the mom of a 5 1/2 year old??  Sienna starts preschool this year, so it's a big year of "firsts" all around.

The first tradition we've started for back to school was going shopping for some new clothes and necessities, as I wrote about at the end of my post yesterday.  Jaden had a great time choosing some new dresses and leggings (she claims that is all she's going to wear this year!) and I enjoyed spending some quality time with my first born.  While Sienna doesn't need much (she has a gazillion hand-me-downs that are still in great shape), I've promised her that we're going to have a mommy-daughter date soon to pick out a new nightgown and I may let her get a new dress as well.  My girls sure love dresses right now!

This year I'm planning to make two special treats for back to school--one for the first day of school and another for the first day Jaden rides the bus (parents take and accompany kindergartners in our town to school on their very first day).  For the first day of school, I'm going to make these:  

 (From here)

The first day that Jaden rides the bus I'm going to make the graham cracker snack that Sienna was holding in the last part of yesterday's post.  All you do is frost a graham cracker with cream cheese died yellow with food coloring and then use chex for the windows and mini oreos for the wheels.  I love this little school bus treat and think it will be a great way to help Jaden to get excited for her first ride on her new bus :)

Finally, I found this list of photos to take for the first day of school on pinterest and I'm going to incorporate this into our back to school traditions.  I always feel that you can never have too many photos, and I know I'll be thankful for this list as I begin putting together a grade-school scrapbook for each of my girls!

 (from here)

What are your back-to-school traditions?  I would love some additional ideas for making the first day(s) back extra special!

Comments

Life Happens said…
I bet Jaden is excited for kindergarten! What fun back to school traditions.

Sienna is lucky to get all her big sister clothes, and i think it's such a great idea to take her shopping so she can still get a few 'new' things. Makes her feel special too. You are an awesome mama!
Theresa said…
Love the back-to-school checklist. And those pencil rolls are so cute.

Your girls are beautiful. I wish you all a great school year!!

Stopping by and following from Kelly's Korner!
Brittany said…
I found your blog from Kelly's Korner:) Your girls are beautiful!
Love the photo checklist, that is such a great idea! Happy Back to School! Your girls are precious.
Anonymous said…
I just pinned the photo checklist so, that I can use it on my son's first day of school.

Popular Posts