Baby Shower Ideas--Show Us Your Life

Today's "Show Us Your LIfe" topic, hosted by Kelly, is Baby Shower Ideas.  Having been to and hosted many showers this is one area I'm pretty familiar with!

Thanks to the internet and sites like pinterest.com, finding ideas for baby shower themes, decorations, favors, food, games, etc. is simple.  Just 5 years ago there weren't nearly as many resources online for party planning as there are today.

When I've hosted showers, I like to keep the decorations simple.  I love the look of hanging a clothesline of baby clothes as a backdrop, and I've done several different table centerpieces from baby toys to floral arrangements to mason jars filled with candy.  When I did the jars of candy, I used candy that had wrappers in colors that were on the plates for the shower.  Then I tied ribbon around the jars and it was simple, sweet and tasty too!



There are hundreds of possible baby shower themes, though most showers I've attended or hosted have been just a general "baby boy" or "baby girl" theme.  Cute themes that are popular today include Bumble Bees, Sweet Pea, Owls, Alphabet and Birds.  My favorite themes and decorations have a shabby chic feel. 

At the showers I've attended recently we've played some new games that were fun and different:
--Celebrity baby name game
http://www.bettyconfidential.com/ar/h/a/a01521.html

--"It's Also a Baby Name" game
http://www.babyshowergamesatoz.com/product/details/its-also-a-baby-name?gwo=1

--Candy bar match game
http://baby-shower.yeahbaby.com/game.php?page=candy-bar-baby-shower-game

I also always love the candy bar diaper game--funny and gross at the same time!  I think the key to games is to just have one or two so that guests don't get burned out easily.  If they're fast games, then three could be done.  I also love the activity of each shower guest giving the mama-to-be a piece of parenting advice in lieu of a game.  It's personal and meaningful for the mom!

As far as food at a baby shower, the only thing I can advise is to make sure the mama-to-be likes the food you're planning to serve.  A cute spin on food is to serve whatever the mom has been craving throughout her pregnancy and then you're sure to have plenty of options that she'll like!

My very favorite site for party planning ideas is Kara's blog.  Even if I don't like a particular theme that is posted on Kara's blog, I can always take away ideas for decorations, food, drinks, etc. from her daily posts!

All in all, I like to keep the baby showers simple and I'm more likely to go all out with a theme and everything for my kids' birthday parties.  Showers are more about the guest of honor and her baby than all the other fluff :)

Bristol & I at a baby shower just last weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts