My Sweet Sienna

From the first time we saw Sienna's personality developing, we could tell she was very laid back and incredibly sweet.  About 6 months ago Sienna went through a funny stage where she showed her stubborn side and displayed her ability to refuse to do anything we wanted her to (even if it was something fun, like participate in her little gym class!).  I worried that we'd mis-judged our easygoing girl, or at very least assumed she was that way before her personality fully developed.  Thankfully though, her extreme stubbornness was just a phase and Sissy, as we often call her, has returned to her sweet self.  She's certainly not perfect, but she continues to be everything we thought from the first glimpses of her spirit and so much more--compassionate, caring, kind, giving, selfless, easy-to-please, fun loving and happy. 


Recently there have been two specific times that I wanted to record before I forget where Sienna's beautiful heart shined especially bright.  The first time was on August 11th, at our annual preschool parents group kick-off picnic.

Earlier that day we received a call from Jaden's doctor that a test taken the previous Monday had shown Jaden had been fighting an extremely contagious illness and since it had gone untreated, she was still able to pass on the bacteria to others.  Jaden, having looked forward to the fun events scheduled to take place at the picnic (balloon man, games, DJ, new playground to climb on, great food and much more) was terribly disappointed when we told her she'd have to hang out with Daddy and Bristol at home while I helped at the picnic and while Sienna enjoyed the evening's activities.

As soon as we arrived at the picnic Sienna got in line for the balloon bender.  She asked for a lollipop balloon and then excitedly showed it to me.  I started chatting with a new member of our parents group and the next thing I knew, Sienna was back in line for the balloon man.  I walked over and knelt down to explain to Sienna that she couldn't keep getting balloons; all of the other children at the picnic needed to have a chance and she already had one.  Before I could get too deep into this explanation, Sienna softly told me that she was actually in line to get a balloon for her big sister.

How quickly my heart did melt as soon as I knew Sienna's intentions!  Without any mention from me of getting a balloon to take home to Jaden, Sienna thought of her disappointed sister, sick at home, and got in line to patiently wait for the man to make a flower balloon! 


That same evening, Sienna badly wanted me to push her on the playground's new swings.  I explained to her a couple of times that I needed to help with a few things in the pavilion (right next to the playground), but she was welcome to play on the slides and stuff until I was done and then I would push her for awhile when the event concluded.  As I mingled and helped I kept an eye on Sienna as she joined in the picnic games, went down the slides a few times and so on.  When my obligations were finished I was ready to let my girl swing.  As I began pushing her one of the other moms came up to me and said she'd seen Sienna looking longingly at the swings and offered to push her, but Sienna had declined and said that her mommy said she couldn't swing until after the picnic.  How obedient of my little girl to wait, and how patient too!


The second time Sienna showed her true colors which I also mustn't forget occurred while we were in Columbus last week.  On Friday night my mom took Jaden and Sienna out to a dollar store to pick up some treats.  The girls' LOVE going to the dollar store with Grammy because she lets them each pick out 3 prizes and they act like the treasures they choose are the most exciting things in the world (I guess to them these little trinkets really are!).

Well Jaden came home that evening with a crown / wand combo pack, a princess ring and another crown, this one Disney princess themed.  Sienna chose a pack of silly putty, a Tinkerbell mini-poster pack with markers to color two enclosed mini-posters and a little pony pony adorned with glitter and a crown.

As both girls opened and admired their choices, Sienna first gave Jaden one of her mini-posters and shared her markers to color it, and then gave her one of the two eggs of silly putty that had come in her pack.  Sienna expected nothing in return and gave her big sister these two things as if it were the most natural thing to do.  She and Jaden enjoyed playing with her things together and I'm certain Sienna didn't even notice or care that Jaden didn't reciprocate by sharing any of her things.  Sienna's display of sharing really touched me, especially because if I can dare be so honest, I don't know if I've ever done something like this in the manner Sienna did.  In fact I'm not sure I've ever witnessed anyone give of their own things, brand NEW things at that, so genuinely and so quickly.


My dear, sweet Sienna,

I admire you for your actions so very much in both of these situations.  I admire you every day for different things, but I am especially proud of you for what you displayed on these two occasions.  You aren't even four years old and I know for sure that I could learn a thing or two from you about genuinely caring for others.  I hope that one day when you understand more about "life" that I can share these memories with you and that you will understand what an amazing individual you are.  God has truly made your spirit a special one and I hope that you continue to do things like you've done recently throughout your entire life.  May your actions touch others as they have made an impact on me.  I love you so, so much Sissy!

--your Mommy

Comments

Popular Posts