Visiting OU & OU friends
Last Friday I mentioned to you all that I was taking Jaden and Sienna to visit mine and Scott's alma mater, Ohio University. OU is such a special place to me because of all the experiences I had there, all of the friends I met, and because I met and fell in love with Scott there. I wish I could go back to visit more often, but it is 3 1/2 hours away from where we live now and a little tough to take time out for trips down when we have such a full calendar all the time.
When we arrived in Athens, the town OU is located in, our first stop was Court Street. There is such a special feeling on Court Street--maybe it's because it's the small town atmosphere, or the uneven brick roads, or the memories I have of so many days and nights walking down that street, but whatever it is, Court Street makes me feel so warm and happy inside. We walked in and out of many shops looking at hundreds of adorable gifts, t-shirts and other momentos. Then we grabbed sandwiches at Jimmy Johns before heading to our next stop.
The next place we went to is another super special spot to me--my sorority house. I lived in the house for a year, and was a member of this sorority all 4 years at OU. I wish I could've shown Jaden and Sienna the exact room I lived in, but there were several girls very sick with H1N1 so I didn't want to expose myself or my little ones! So we just saw the new chapter room that just was finished in the house and then visited with my house mom, Inez, outside. It was great to catch up with her and to meet some of the current girls living at the house. They were so friendly and sweet--just the right kind of girls I like seeing in my sorority!!
Here are Jaden and Sienna with Inez. This lady is so very special to me. She's always been like an extra grandmother to me and I was so excited to introduce she and Sienna (she'd met Jaden as a baby).
After spending some time catching up with Inez at the sorority house, I let Jaden and Sienna explore College Green. It was a BEAUTIFUL day (big surprise for a November day in Ohio!) and there just happened to be these HUGE piles of leaves on the green. These piles were larger than your average sized living room just to give you a frame of reference!




Needless to say, Jaden's once white tights from that day are now a shade of brownish-gray! I don't care though--two hours of playing in the leaves was well worth it. I watched the girls play for awhile, and then a former student of mine from my student teaching came up to the green to chat for awhile. I feel so old saying this, but I taught this girl when she was a sophomore in high school, and she is now a senior at OU and applying to MEDICAL SCHOOL!

Finally, we had to get back into the car to head home. This is the sad face I got from Sienna when I told her we had to leave:
Needless to say, I think a little piece of my girls each fell in love with OU / Athens that day! I can't say I mind because I would be honored to see them go to OU one day. In fact, I always say I'm going to really push them towards OU, unless that is they want to go to Harvard :) Ha!
When we arrived in Athens, the town OU is located in, our first stop was Court Street. There is such a special feeling on Court Street--maybe it's because it's the small town atmosphere, or the uneven brick roads, or the memories I have of so many days and nights walking down that street, but whatever it is, Court Street makes me feel so warm and happy inside. We walked in and out of many shops looking at hundreds of adorable gifts, t-shirts and other momentos. Then we grabbed sandwiches at Jimmy Johns before heading to our next stop.
The next place we went to is another super special spot to me--my sorority house. I lived in the house for a year, and was a member of this sorority all 4 years at OU. I wish I could've shown Jaden and Sienna the exact room I lived in, but there were several girls very sick with H1N1 so I didn't want to expose myself or my little ones! So we just saw the new chapter room that just was finished in the house and then visited with my house mom, Inez, outside. It was great to catch up with her and to meet some of the current girls living at the house. They were so friendly and sweet--just the right kind of girls I like seeing in my sorority!!
Here are Jaden and Sienna with Inez. This lady is so very special to me. She's always been like an extra grandmother to me and I was so excited to introduce she and Sienna (she'd met Jaden as a baby).
After spending some time catching up with Inez at the sorority house, I let Jaden and Sienna explore College Green. It was a BEAUTIFUL day (big surprise for a November day in Ohio!) and there just happened to be these HUGE piles of leaves on the green. These piles were larger than your average sized living room just to give you a frame of reference!



Needless to say, Jaden's once white tights from that day are now a shade of brownish-gray! I don't care though--two hours of playing in the leaves was well worth it. I watched the girls play for awhile, and then a former student of mine from my student teaching came up to the green to chat for awhile. I feel so old saying this, but I taught this girl when she was a sophomore in high school, and she is now a senior at OU and applying to MEDICAL SCHOOL!
Finally, we had to get back into the car to head home. This is the sad face I got from Sienna when I told her we had to leave:
Needless to say, I think a little piece of my girls each fell in love with OU / Athens that day! I can't say I mind because I would be honored to see them go to OU one day. In fact, I always say I'm going to really push them towards OU, unless that is they want to go to Harvard :) Ha! Before we left town, we drove past three more special places on campus. First, Scott's fraternity house:
Then, the house I lived in my senior year with some of my BEST friends in the entire world:



Three of these girls are the best friends I lived with my senior year as I mentioned above. The others are also good friends and I always try to do a group dinner in Columbus when I'm down there. We met at the Cheesecake factory this time and I only wish we'd had more time to catch up--chatting over dinner is just not long enough to share engagements, weddings, babies coming, etc. with this many gals!!!
Then, the house I lived in my senior year with some of my BEST friends in the entire world:
And finally, past the house where Scott was living during fall quarter my junior year, which is where we met on the front porch during a fraternity / sorority event:

********************************************
The night before I went to OU, I had dinner with 11 of my sorority sisters from there:

Three of these girls are the best friends I lived with my senior year as I mentioned above. The others are also good friends and I always try to do a group dinner in Columbus when I'm down there. We met at the Cheesecake factory this time and I only wish we'd had more time to catch up--chatting over dinner is just not long enough to share engagements, weddings, babies coming, etc. with this many gals!!!



Comments