It's Double or Nothing Time!
As I stated earlier this week, I hate being away from blogging. This past week has been a tough one, a busy one and a fun one too (didn't think something could be tough, busy and fun did ya? ha!). Well let me tell you, with two little girls like mine life is always bound to be fun, even during the tough and busy times!!
Did you catch onto the theme of my wordless wednesday post yesterday? In order to help Sienna better learn her colors, we had ORANGE day! We wore orange, talked about and found orange things all around the house, had an all-orange lunch, played with orange play-doh, colored with orange markers and even iced brownies for that night's dinner with icing in a pretty shade of, you guessed it: orange! Needless to say, that night after a whole lot of attention being paid to the color orange, I asked Sienna what color my shirt was and she replied, "geen!" Since that day however, I must brag that Sienna is doing much better with her color recognition, almost always recognizing purple, pink, blue and green and knowing the rest of the rainbow about 50% of the time. She is so intelligent and knows so much already at the young age of 2, but colors are coming a little slow to her. So, we'll just keep working :)
This morning I type from my mom's house in Columbus where I brought the girls down for a visit since Jaden is out of school today and tomorrow. We'll stay here through Saturday, then head home to enjoy time with Scott. While we're here I get to head out to dinner with over a dozen of my sorority sisters from college and let me tell you, I can't wait! Then tomorrow I'm taking Jaden and Sienna to my alma mater, Ohio University, to frolic on College Green, have Pita Pit for lunch and see a few friends. Who knows, we might even pick up a Bobcat t-shirt or two while we're down there!
Since I've gotten behind and want to catch up on sharing some photos and stories here, I'm going to do double posts each day through Sunday! So I'm hoping to post in the morning and again in the afternoon or evening. Check back often :)
This morning I wanted to share a tidbit about how much Jaden has grown up since starting school. Each morning she gets up, dresses herself and has breakfast, and we are all out the door by 8am. We make the 20-minute drive to her school where she then gets out (with the help of a teacher or teacher's aide) and then she walks into school. Last week she boasted, "I walk all by myself to my classroom Mom. I don't need anyone to take me; I just walk by myself." Now, I knew that the goal at her montessori school was to encourage the children to walk to class themselves, but I never imagined my little four-year-old actually doing it! I've suspected in recent weeks that she was getting herself to class on her own, but I wasn't sure since all I do is drop her off in carline and then head off to wherever my morning takes me. Now some of you are probably in shock that these children walk themselves to class, and let me tell you, if you saw how far the walk is for those little legs to get all the way to Jaden's classroom in the back of the school, you'd be even more taken aback. The fact of the matter is though, the montessori way is to teach our children responsibility for themselves in all areas, which leads to much greater things like a deep sense of self-worth, a caring attitude toward others and their environment, and much more. So encouraging them to take responsibility for getting themselves to class is one small part of that. There are teachers and middle school students there to make sure they get into the door, and so far not a single student has ever been lost or unaccounted for. It still just amazes me that my little girl, a girl who just a mere 9 months ago still didn't want to go to dance class on her own, is now walking confidently into her school and all the way to her classroom all by herself!!
Enough of my rambling now...enjoy these photos from going to school the other day:

Did you catch onto the theme of my wordless wednesday post yesterday? In order to help Sienna better learn her colors, we had ORANGE day! We wore orange, talked about and found orange things all around the house, had an all-orange lunch, played with orange play-doh, colored with orange markers and even iced brownies for that night's dinner with icing in a pretty shade of, you guessed it: orange! Needless to say, that night after a whole lot of attention being paid to the color orange, I asked Sienna what color my shirt was and she replied, "geen!" Since that day however, I must brag that Sienna is doing much better with her color recognition, almost always recognizing purple, pink, blue and green and knowing the rest of the rainbow about 50% of the time. She is so intelligent and knows so much already at the young age of 2, but colors are coming a little slow to her. So, we'll just keep working :)
This morning I type from my mom's house in Columbus where I brought the girls down for a visit since Jaden is out of school today and tomorrow. We'll stay here through Saturday, then head home to enjoy time with Scott. While we're here I get to head out to dinner with over a dozen of my sorority sisters from college and let me tell you, I can't wait! Then tomorrow I'm taking Jaden and Sienna to my alma mater, Ohio University, to frolic on College Green, have Pita Pit for lunch and see a few friends. Who knows, we might even pick up a Bobcat t-shirt or two while we're down there!
Since I've gotten behind and want to catch up on sharing some photos and stories here, I'm going to do double posts each day through Sunday! So I'm hoping to post in the morning and again in the afternoon or evening. Check back often :)
This morning I wanted to share a tidbit about how much Jaden has grown up since starting school. Each morning she gets up, dresses herself and has breakfast, and we are all out the door by 8am. We make the 20-minute drive to her school where she then gets out (with the help of a teacher or teacher's aide) and then she walks into school. Last week she boasted, "I walk all by myself to my classroom Mom. I don't need anyone to take me; I just walk by myself." Now, I knew that the goal at her montessori school was to encourage the children to walk to class themselves, but I never imagined my little four-year-old actually doing it! I've suspected in recent weeks that she was getting herself to class on her own, but I wasn't sure since all I do is drop her off in carline and then head off to wherever my morning takes me. Now some of you are probably in shock that these children walk themselves to class, and let me tell you, if you saw how far the walk is for those little legs to get all the way to Jaden's classroom in the back of the school, you'd be even more taken aback. The fact of the matter is though, the montessori way is to teach our children responsibility for themselves in all areas, which leads to much greater things like a deep sense of self-worth, a caring attitude toward others and their environment, and much more. So encouraging them to take responsibility for getting themselves to class is one small part of that. There are teachers and middle school students there to make sure they get into the door, and so far not a single student has ever been lost or unaccounted for. It still just amazes me that my little girl, a girl who just a mere 9 months ago still didn't want to go to dance class on her own, is now walking confidently into her school and all the way to her classroom all by herself!!
Enough of my rambling now...enjoy these photos from going to school the other day:





Comments