Our Dazzling Dancer

In September, Jaden started taking dance at a studio close to our house with her friend Riley. She had tried out a dance class at The Little Gym and did pretty well (okay, well she had her moments when she did well, along with quite a few moments when she wanted to just hang out with her teacher by the watching wall instead of participating). Even before trying out dance at The Little Gym we had taken her to a studio in September 2008, but she didn't like that she couldn't see me during class so that didn't work out. So when Riley's mom approached me about the idea that our girls try out a class at this other studio this fall, I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about it working out.

Jaden must've known I was a bit nervous because she has apparently set out to prove me wrong! She is doing wonderfully well in her new class and when we're not at the studio, she's dancing all around the house! Here she is on her first day of class in September:




I love her little knock-kneed legs and how she's sticking out her tummy in an effort to stand up straight and tall!

At this new studio, there are about a hundred reasons for little girls to LOVE dancing. From wearing princess crowns for the entire month of September during class to dancing to Disney princess songs, this studio has proven perfect for my joyful little Jaden. Each month there is a theme and they learn little dances. In October they did the Monster Mash and this month they're dancing to a Wiggles tune. Jaden recognizes some of the music they use and then asks if we can play the songs at home to practice--it's so cute! I should also add that there is an area with two rows of chairs right inside the dance room so parents can sit right there to watch. One might think this would distract the little girls, but it doesn't at all. I think it helps them to be more independent while knowing that Mom or Dad is right there if they should need them.

This week I was able to take some photos during Jaden's class and it was perfect timing for me taking the camera because Jaden got to be the 'leader' during the tap portion of class. As you'll see in the tap photos, being the leader means you get to wear a special crown of flowers and lead all of the exercises across the floor. Jaden was thrilled that she got to have her turn!



At the ballet bar

Dancing with bears to "Rockabye your Bear" (Wiggles Song)



Warming up for tap

Dancing with moraccas in tap class!

{She's a natural!}

Jaden wearing her leader crown and telling me how she gets to be the tap leader

One last shot at the end of class!

I did not get any good shots of Jaden leading the class, but I did manage to get some video. I'll try to upload a video later on!

I am so excited that Jaden has embraced dancing and is following in my footsteps. I certainly don't expect my daughters to always be interested in my hobbies & interests, but seeing that she is enjoying tap and ballet just warms my heart. Jaden is a natural dancer and is working on following the teacher's directions and learning technique. I can't wait to see how much she grows as a ballerina this year!

Comments

Popular Posts