Thankfulness
In one of the veggie-tales songs that my daughters force me to listen to over and over in the car the little vegetable characters sing, "with a thankful heart and a happy heart..." and I cannot help but think that a happy heart is directly related to thankfulness. You could have everything and not be thankful, and there is no way your heart could be happy. It is those who acknowledge that they are grateful for who and what they have in their lives that are truly joyful.This Thanksgiving season, I've already seen an abundance of facebook and blog posts telling what the author of each post is thankful for. Having a grateful outlook has been the subject of talk shows, radio programs, children's cartoons, conversations with friends, sermons at churches, etc. It is so uplifting to see and hear around you what everyone is thankful for, and to think about in your own life everything big and small for which you are grateful.
Today, and everyday, I am most thankful for my family and my friends--each and every person God has woven into my life to teach me, to love me, to enlighten me, to make me smile, to have fun with, to allow me someone to teach, love, enlighten and make smile. I do not know where I'd be or what I'd be doing had I not gotten pregnant with Jaden and started our little family right then, and I don't even begin to want to know. Scott, Jaden and Sienna are the best things that have ever come into my life, even during the tough husband-wife moments, or the tough mommy moments. Every night, no matter what the day has brought, no matter the busy-ness, no matter the annoyances, no matter the discipline I've dreadfully had to employ, no matter a disagreement, no matter the stresses of that day or the impending stresses of tomorrow, I go to sleep so incredibly thankful for these three people that I cannot even put the feeling into words!! And I'm thankful for every moment with them, whether it be a moment of happiness or a moment of despair. The amazing connection I have as wife and mother to these three makes each day worthwhile and exciting and joyful and fulfilling.
There is no way I could create an exhaustive list, but this Thanksgiving, some other things I am thankful for include:
God; and all that he has done for me and in me
my mom
my dad
my brother
my sisters
my stepmom
my stepdad
my grandparents
my inlaws
my aunts & uncles & cousins
my beautiful home
my ability to be a stay-at-home-mom
my husband's hard work to be able to make the above happen
my church
my moms' groups
all of my friends
the food on my table each day
intriguing books to read
what I learn from reading blogs / articles / etc.
connecting via facebook with so many friends, classmates & acquaintances
my safe neighborhood
my safe neighborhood
my car
scrapbooking / cardmaking / crafting
being able to build a new home next year
my husband's help with our girls
my husband's good work on our yard
my computer, my cell phone & the ability to connect with the world on these
being able to travel
having beautiful clothes to wear
being warm in the winter and cool in the summer
Jaden's school, and the growth we're seeing in her as a result of her education
The Little Gym, our dance studio and the teachers of our children at these wonderful places
being able to eat out some
having stores close by to shop at
being only 2 hours from Columbus and all of the people there whom I love
having entertaining TV and movies to watch
being able to go out for a walk and enjoy the nature around me
my gym & having a gym membership
my ability to be creative
Diet Pepsi
girls' nights out
girls nights "in"
family photos and photos of my daughters
dates with Scott
family outings and family trips
my cozy bed to sleep in
quiet time
all that I know, all that I've learned, and all that I'm going to learn
...this just touches the surface of all that I have in my life to be thankful for. And this Thanksgiving, I'm focusing on all of the blessings in my life as we celebrate the holiday with my family. I hope that you, too, in between bites of turkey and stuffing and pumpkin pie can reflect for a moment at all you have to be thankful for. I will not let it stop at today though, as I hope you too will not, because we have so much to be grateful for every single day. On the worst of days and on the best of them, we have hundreds of blessings. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and cheers to being thankful!


Comments