Sienna, our preschooler
Today Sienna began preschool on her own for the first time! In January 2009 through May of that year Sienna and I did a Mommy & Me class at Jaden's preschool, but today marked Sienna's first day of true "school."
To get ready for her big day, Sienna and I went out to do a little shopping yesterday. Thank goodness for Labor Day sales--we were able to purchase a first day of school dress for 65% off! We also stopped at the book store and picked up our own copy of The Kissing Hand (we'd borrowed a friend's copy to read last week) as well as The Berenstain Bears Go to School. It was such a nice time being one-on-one with my little girl.
Last night for dinner we had Sienna's choice--turkey dogs, corn on the cob and baked fries. She didn't eat as much as usual though since she'd had a chocolate milkshake while we were shopping. And quite honestly I was surprised at her dinner choice since Sienna isn't really into hot dogs, but hey, I gave her the choice and that's what she claimed she wanted!
This morning was pretty chaotic getting both Jaden and Sienna ready for school, but we managed to not only get them ready, but also to bathe Bristol and get her ready for the day as well. I thought things were going pretty well until we were running out the door and I realized we hadn't filled out HALF of the preschool forms! Big oops on my part!
I've expected all along that Sienna would be excited for preschool and would go right into her class without any trouble, but over the past week she expressed at different times that she was nervous and scared about school. This morning as she put on her new dress though I think the nervousness melted away. Once we got to school she walked right into her class and was acclimated within 60 seconds! There were zero tears or sad faces, just excitement and enthusiasm.
Sienna let me take her photo with her teacher as well as with the class pet, a guinea pig named Waffles. She gave her teacher one of the pencils we'd made last week out of rolos and hershey kisses and then was off and running towards the water table and her new school friends.
I sat in the hallway finishing up filling out the preschool forms I'd neglected (I think I lost my super-mom badge on this one...haha!) and could hear Sienna tell Teacher Tiffany that she wanted to paint. As I peaked in a few moments later to say goodbye the teacher told me Sienna had already made a novel reflection--"Teacher Tiffany! Red and Yellow make ORANGE!" she'd exclaimed. Her teacher was impressed--and while I'm sure Sienna has heard that straight from Jaden, I'm impressed too. She is such a sponge for knowledge, soaking it all in. We can't wait to see all that she learns this year!
After the school day was over I was happy that Sienna's teacher reported she'd done well throughout the entire morning. Sienna didn't seem to mind that it was time to leave, but I think she would've preferred to stay even longer and have more fun! She was excited to show me one of her three paintings and to tell me all about how she got to see Waffles the guinea pig come out of his log house. She also described the class trip to the playground and learning about "simon says." This evening as Jaden discussed her day at kindergarten Sienna loved that she could chime in with things she did and learned at school today. I think it will be great for her to have some new experiences all of her own to share with Scott, Jaden and I. It will make her feel special.
To celebrate making it through the first day of preschool I'd made plans to take Sienna to lunch with one of her friends Karlie and my friend Kristin, Karlie's mom. Sienna was surprised and excited to see her friend waiting for us at Panera. After chatting over soup and sandwiches we stopped and got vanilla cones before heading home for the afternoon. These last few photos are of Sienna with the very last bite of her cone!
Little Sis, I'm so excited for all that you have to look forward to this year, and I can't wait to hear all about each day you spend at school. This is just the beginning of so many years of learning and I know you're going to do very, very well. Always be your sweet self, keep your chin up and make mommy and daddy proud by doing your best. We love you more than you will ever know!
To get ready for her big day, Sienna and I went out to do a little shopping yesterday. Thank goodness for Labor Day sales--we were able to purchase a first day of school dress for 65% off! We also stopped at the book store and picked up our own copy of The Kissing Hand (we'd borrowed a friend's copy to read last week) as well as The Berenstain Bears Go to School. It was such a nice time being one-on-one with my little girl.
Last night for dinner we had Sienna's choice--turkey dogs, corn on the cob and baked fries. She didn't eat as much as usual though since she'd had a chocolate milkshake while we were shopping. And quite honestly I was surprised at her dinner choice since Sienna isn't really into hot dogs, but hey, I gave her the choice and that's what she claimed she wanted!
This morning was pretty chaotic getting both Jaden and Sienna ready for school, but we managed to not only get them ready, but also to bathe Bristol and get her ready for the day as well. I thought things were going pretty well until we were running out the door and I realized we hadn't filled out HALF of the preschool forms! Big oops on my part!
I've expected all along that Sienna would be excited for preschool and would go right into her class without any trouble, but over the past week she expressed at different times that she was nervous and scared about school. This morning as she put on her new dress though I think the nervousness melted away. Once we got to school she walked right into her class and was acclimated within 60 seconds! There were zero tears or sad faces, just excitement and enthusiasm.
Sienna let me take her photo with her teacher as well as with the class pet, a guinea pig named Waffles. She gave her teacher one of the pencils we'd made last week out of rolos and hershey kisses and then was off and running towards the water table and her new school friends.
I sat in the hallway finishing up filling out the preschool forms I'd neglected (I think I lost my super-mom badge on this one...haha!) and could hear Sienna tell Teacher Tiffany that she wanted to paint. As I peaked in a few moments later to say goodbye the teacher told me Sienna had already made a novel reflection--"Teacher Tiffany! Red and Yellow make ORANGE!" she'd exclaimed. Her teacher was impressed--and while I'm sure Sienna has heard that straight from Jaden, I'm impressed too. She is such a sponge for knowledge, soaking it all in. We can't wait to see all that she learns this year!
After the school day was over I was happy that Sienna's teacher reported she'd done well throughout the entire morning. Sienna didn't seem to mind that it was time to leave, but I think she would've preferred to stay even longer and have more fun! She was excited to show me one of her three paintings and to tell me all about how she got to see Waffles the guinea pig come out of his log house. She also described the class trip to the playground and learning about "simon says." This evening as Jaden discussed her day at kindergarten Sienna loved that she could chime in with things she did and learned at school today. I think it will be great for her to have some new experiences all of her own to share with Scott, Jaden and I. It will make her feel special.
To celebrate making it through the first day of preschool I'd made plans to take Sienna to lunch with one of her friends Karlie and my friend Kristin, Karlie's mom. Sienna was surprised and excited to see her friend waiting for us at Panera. After chatting over soup and sandwiches we stopped and got vanilla cones before heading home for the afternoon. These last few photos are of Sienna with the very last bite of her cone!
Little Sis, I'm so excited for all that you have to look forward to this year, and I can't wait to hear all about each day you spend at school. This is just the beginning of so many years of learning and I know you're going to do very, very well. Always be your sweet self, keep your chin up and make mommy and daddy proud by doing your best. We love you more than you will ever know!











Comments