My final thoughts on Disney "nerds" and some other randomness
Tonight a story aired in Columbus, OH on the Disney "Nerds" line. I did an interview with the news channel last week and though I've not seen the video of the story, I did read some of the comments viewers in Columbus made on the news facebook page and on their website. I'm planning on sending one more email to Disney and then I'll let this lie. Since the entire line, called "popular" by Disney executives, is disappearing from stores, no longer in the park shops, and being clearanced out online, I guess in a way those who complained have been heard. I'm happy for that :)
A few other thoughts on the matter...
--I've never once said I have a problem w/ the word "nerds." If there are older children and adults who understand the meaning of the word and choose to embrace it, that's wonderful! One of my bestest friends in the entire world has called me a nerd and she's still my BFF :) That said however, I looked at dictionary.com for the definition of "nerd" and it said :
--Keep in mind the age of children who enjoy Disney and their products, and how easily these children can be influenced by hurtful words and labels. No matter how much parents try to tell a 5-year-old, "being a nerd is cool--look at Bill Gates!" nothing compares to being labeled something by peers, or worse, by a company they love. I don't care if you are an adult who wears glasses and doesn't mind being called "nerd" or even if you're an 8th grader who feels that way. We're talking about young children who shop at the Disney Store and their impactful nature.
--Jaden doesn't know any details of this story and thankfully wasn't too interested in the line when we were at the Disney store that fateful August day. She was more interested in the new princess dresses, roller suitcases and pretend cell phones. I hope to keep it that way. No need for her to know that this line ever existed until she's much older and I decide to show her the news videos :)
--I would LOVE to see Disney characters wearing glasses on products, just leave out the labeling! In fact, I actually bought this for Jaden for a birthday gift and am just going to remove the nerds tag. She will feel special having something with Minnie Mouse wearing glasses just like she does.
--I wasn't seeking attention from "people" by making my views on this line loud and clear. I was aiming to get the attention of Disney and nothing more :) Thank you to all of my friends, family and everyone I didn't know too who contacted Disney with a complaint. You all helped in this so much!
--I have not been paid or compensated in any way by Disney; and don't intend on that happening at all. In my opinion, the line disappearing is worth more than any dollar amount!
--I love that I've now heard of a hat where Cookie Monster is wearing glasses and of some Hello Kitty products w/ glasses. There are many other items out there that have both glasses and the word "nerds" on them, but not every single product in the line contains both, so that gives parents like me an option to purchase something for our kids with glasses on it but not a label! Woohoo!
--If you don't have a young child who wears glasses, you can't possibly understand where I'm coming from. So thanks to those of you who have tried and who have been supportive even if you don't understand or don't agree with me.
My point remains that children who enjoy Disney shows, characters and products are of the focus here. Disney makes a huge impact on children whether we like it or not and I hope that in the future they aim to make their impact a positive one for all children regardless of who they are and any struggles they may face!
ONTO A MUCH MORE FUN TOPIC....
Look who started sitting up yesterday! She's our first daughter who has started sitting up before 6 months old :)
Bristol sits up for various lengths of time directly dependent on which toys are available within reach while she's sitting, how tired she may be and how many people are paying attention to her sitting up. She's so funny--she totally knows she's the baby and she wants to make sure everyone around her is loving on her and watching her all the time (especially when she learns something new!).
Finally, I picked up this book almost a year ago and am going to start using it every so often for writing prompts here on our blog. I figure if I'm keeping track of fun things for my kids, maybe they'd like to know more about me one day as they're looking back on this family journal. The questions in here are great!
And lastly, before the end of this week there's going to be a BOW TUTORIAL up!! Looking forward to sharing it with all of you who've been asking for it :)
Have a great evening everyone!
A few other thoughts on the matter...
--I've never once said I have a problem w/ the word "nerds." If there are older children and adults who understand the meaning of the word and choose to embrace it, that's wonderful! One of my bestest friends in the entire world has called me a nerd and she's still my BFF :) That said however, I looked at dictionary.com for the definition of "nerd" and it said :
a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person. Do I want my child associated with that definition just because she wears glasses? Nope!
--Keep in mind the age of children who enjoy Disney and their products, and how easily these children can be influenced by hurtful words and labels. No matter how much parents try to tell a 5-year-old, "being a nerd is cool--look at Bill Gates!" nothing compares to being labeled something by peers, or worse, by a company they love. I don't care if you are an adult who wears glasses and doesn't mind being called "nerd" or even if you're an 8th grader who feels that way. We're talking about young children who shop at the Disney Store and their impactful nature.
--Jaden doesn't know any details of this story and thankfully wasn't too interested in the line when we were at the Disney store that fateful August day. She was more interested in the new princess dresses, roller suitcases and pretend cell phones. I hope to keep it that way. No need for her to know that this line ever existed until she's much older and I decide to show her the news videos :)
--I would LOVE to see Disney characters wearing glasses on products, just leave out the labeling! In fact, I actually bought this for Jaden for a birthday gift and am just going to remove the nerds tag. She will feel special having something with Minnie Mouse wearing glasses just like she does.
--I wasn't seeking attention from "people" by making my views on this line loud and clear. I was aiming to get the attention of Disney and nothing more :) Thank you to all of my friends, family and everyone I didn't know too who contacted Disney with a complaint. You all helped in this so much!
--I have not been paid or compensated in any way by Disney; and don't intend on that happening at all. In my opinion, the line disappearing is worth more than any dollar amount!
--I love that I've now heard of a hat where Cookie Monster is wearing glasses and of some Hello Kitty products w/ glasses. There are many other items out there that have both glasses and the word "nerds" on them, but not every single product in the line contains both, so that gives parents like me an option to purchase something for our kids with glasses on it but not a label! Woohoo!
--If you don't have a young child who wears glasses, you can't possibly understand where I'm coming from. So thanks to those of you who have tried and who have been supportive even if you don't understand or don't agree with me.
My point remains that children who enjoy Disney shows, characters and products are of the focus here. Disney makes a huge impact on children whether we like it or not and I hope that in the future they aim to make their impact a positive one for all children regardless of who they are and any struggles they may face!
ONTO A MUCH MORE FUN TOPIC....
Look who started sitting up yesterday! She's our first daughter who has started sitting up before 6 months old :)
Bristol sits up for various lengths of time directly dependent on which toys are available within reach while she's sitting, how tired she may be and how many people are paying attention to her sitting up. She's so funny--she totally knows she's the baby and she wants to make sure everyone around her is loving on her and watching her all the time (especially when she learns something new!).
Finally, I picked up this book almost a year ago and am going to start using it every so often for writing prompts here on our blog. I figure if I'm keeping track of fun things for my kids, maybe they'd like to know more about me one day as they're looking back on this family journal. The questions in here are great!
And lastly, before the end of this week there's going to be a BOW TUTORIAL up!! Looking forward to sharing it with all of you who've been asking for it :)
Have a great evening everyone!






Comments