Making things for baby girl
All afternoon and evening yesterday, my stepmom Darla and I worked on a few projects in my craft room. I haven't even had a chance to organize the craft room just yet, but it's a special room Scott had built for me in the basement of this house and I look forward to using it to make many things over the coming years :)
Anyway, Darla and I have been working for a few weeks on hemming curtains to just the right length for each room in our house. Our upstairs windows are a bit lower than normal and our downstairs windows are all pretty high, so in order for our curtains to hang just right we needed to hem curtains from several of the rooms. I am SO thankful for my stepmom's talent with the sewing machine, as well as her perfectionism because she does the best work! I helped a little with pinning, but Darla did 95% of the work--and I cannot describe how grateful I am that she gave her time and energy to this project for us. I'll share some new photos of the house soon!
After we were finished hemming the last of the curtains (14 lined panels in all are now DONE!) we decided to make a few things for Baby Vitt who is due in only two short weeks now. Last week I'd taken a poll on facebok about what moms put on their babies in the hospital. For Jaden and Sienna, I had them wear the hospital side-snap shirts until it was ready to go home and then I dressed them each in a sweet dress to wear home. I've seen quite a few photos lately of babies in the hospital dressed in sleep sacks or other special outfits, so that led me to ask friends what they each thought and/or did for their children. The poll turned out to be about 50% who did what I did with Jaden and Sienna, and the other 50% took clothes to the hospital for their babies to wear during their stay.
I didn't want to put much more than a side-snap shirt on our baby girl, but I wanted her to look extra cute, so I bought a few plain side-snap tees and a few spools of ribbon that I liked. This is what we started with:
After experimenting a little and having my stepmom show me what she could do with adding ribbon to the shirts, we came up with this:
and this:
Darla sewed the ribbon on the bottom and on the arms so that it ruffled a bit and the shirts now almost look like little dresses! We still have the practicality of side-snap tees so that when the nurses or doctors need to undress our baby, they still are able to easily. However, now our baby will have the most beautiful side-snap tees in the whole nursery!
I made the bows on the bottom of the shirts as well as the bows for her hair. All of the bows I'm making for our baby girl are on alligator clips so they can be interchanged on hats, headbands and eventually put right into her hair. So for these little hospital outfits we thought the pink and yellow bow went well on the white hat and the brown and teal bow went well on the brown headband. I also made a few additional bows for the baby yesterday, so here is everything we made for her:
To say I'm super excited to see our baby wear these things is the biggest understatement ever! I want to go into labor now more than ever not only because I can't wait to meet my littlest girl, but I also can't wait to dress her up in these sweet things!
14 days and counting... ;-)
Anyway, Darla and I have been working for a few weeks on hemming curtains to just the right length for each room in our house. Our upstairs windows are a bit lower than normal and our downstairs windows are all pretty high, so in order for our curtains to hang just right we needed to hem curtains from several of the rooms. I am SO thankful for my stepmom's talent with the sewing machine, as well as her perfectionism because she does the best work! I helped a little with pinning, but Darla did 95% of the work--and I cannot describe how grateful I am that she gave her time and energy to this project for us. I'll share some new photos of the house soon!
After we were finished hemming the last of the curtains (14 lined panels in all are now DONE!) we decided to make a few things for Baby Vitt who is due in only two short weeks now. Last week I'd taken a poll on facebok about what moms put on their babies in the hospital. For Jaden and Sienna, I had them wear the hospital side-snap shirts until it was ready to go home and then I dressed them each in a sweet dress to wear home. I've seen quite a few photos lately of babies in the hospital dressed in sleep sacks or other special outfits, so that led me to ask friends what they each thought and/or did for their children. The poll turned out to be about 50% who did what I did with Jaden and Sienna, and the other 50% took clothes to the hospital for their babies to wear during their stay.
I didn't want to put much more than a side-snap shirt on our baby girl, but I wanted her to look extra cute, so I bought a few plain side-snap tees and a few spools of ribbon that I liked. This is what we started with:
After experimenting a little and having my stepmom show me what she could do with adding ribbon to the shirts, we came up with this:
and this:
Darla sewed the ribbon on the bottom and on the arms so that it ruffled a bit and the shirts now almost look like little dresses! We still have the practicality of side-snap tees so that when the nurses or doctors need to undress our baby, they still are able to easily. However, now our baby will have the most beautiful side-snap tees in the whole nursery!I made the bows on the bottom of the shirts as well as the bows for her hair. All of the bows I'm making for our baby girl are on alligator clips so they can be interchanged on hats, headbands and eventually put right into her hair. So for these little hospital outfits we thought the pink and yellow bow went well on the white hat and the brown and teal bow went well on the brown headband. I also made a few additional bows for the baby yesterday, so here is everything we made for her:
To say I'm super excited to see our baby wear these things is the biggest understatement ever! I want to go into labor now more than ever not only because I can't wait to meet my littlest girl, but I also can't wait to dress her up in these sweet things!14 days and counting... ;-)


Comments