Feelin' Crafty

For as long as I can remember, I have loved creating things. If I were to rate my own artistic ability, on a scale of 1-10 I would be a big, fat ZERO. On creativity though, I would rate myself a little better--perhaps a 6. Friends and family who see things I make might think I am being modest here, but what they don't understand is that I'm just really good at following directions and snagging ideas from books and the internet :)

In early December as I read Martha Stewart's Living magazine, I could literally feel my entire body become enveloped in the desire to create some holiday items. I fed my craft bug by making my first wreath for our front door, making a gorgeous candy-themed centerpiece for our Christmas dinner and by doing some crafts with my girls--their favorite being our home-made snowman snowglobes.

After Christmas my entire collection of all things craft related had to be packed up for our move, and 98% of my craft room is still in boxes. I've kept myself busy settling into our home and making bows here and there for our baby girl. This week though I really felt the urge to create coming on, and I'm really excited about a few things I'm going to work on in the very near future.

The first thing I'm making is one of these no-crochet fringe blanket props for when we have our baby girl's newborn photos taken. It can be used in so many types of photos for the whole first year and I can't wait to see how mine turns out!

Photo courtesy of this site where I found the pattern :)

The next item on my crafting agenda is to make my first fabric rosette, followed by about 50 more :) I want to make some of these for gifts, a few for myself and a few for my girls. I have so many ideas of ways to use these!






All photos of these rosettes, as well as a tutorial available here!

Next, my stepmom is going to be coming over soon to make curtains for the baby's room (I know, I know, a little behind we are, but her bedding won't be here for 2 more weeks so we didn't rush!), and while she's here I'd like to make a few of these with her:

They are so much cuter than any I've seen in the store and I would love to embellish them with buttons, fabric rosettes, etc. I think I have enough ribbon to make a thousand of these, thanks to my stash from making bows :) Well maybe not a thousand, but at least a few! The photo above and a tutorial for making the pacifier holders is available at this link.

Over the next few months, I would love to make a couple of these for all three of my girls. They would be so cute on their own for summer and then we could put long-sleeved shirts underneath for next fall and winter! I'll once again need my talented stepmom's help, but perhaps I can work on my own sewing skills under her guidance for these easy shirts:


I found these photos and a pattern you can purchase to make them here.

I'm really excited to have found a tutorial to make ribbon flowers like the one below, so you can count on seeing them on future bows I'm working on, and on other crafts too! I am always looking for new ways to spice up the centers of my bows and these are just too cute.

The tutorial for ribbon flowers is here!

Finally, in a few months (after I'm over the newborn-sleepless-nights phase) I'll make some time to work on one of these for myself. These would also make great birthday or Christmas gifts for my sisters....hmmmm :) I'd have to make a big one to hold all of my earrings, but that wouldn't cost too much thanks to Hobby Lobby's frequent 50% off frame sales! I would love to have my earrings all organized and hanging in one spot--it would make choosing a new pair each day very fun and easy.

Photo from this site, where there is a detailed tutorial for you and I!

Just seeing all of these photos has me super excited to get started on my next project. I think I'll pull the yarn out tomorrow morning for that no-crochet fringe blanket!!

What are YOU working on these days?? Anything fun that you'd like to share?

Comments

Life Happens said…
I'm amazed you find time to craft with busy girls! You are awesome! Can't wait to see all your creations!!
Anonymous said…
Love everything! Little Birdie Secrets has some of the greatest ideas...I usually get on a kick for a little bit and then fizzle out. :o)
Flowers are my *thing* though. I haven't tried the rosettes yet, but they're on my list. Here's another one to try... http://blairpeter.typepad.com/weblog/2006/03/fabric_flowers.html

www.purlbee.com has some fun tutorials if you want to check them out.

Popular Posts