Pay it Forward

This past week I've had a few experiences that have made me think of the concept of "paying it forward."

Last Sunday at brunch, Scott and I witnessed how a mother and daughter had their meal paid for by an anonymous couple. The mother was flabbergasted; it reminded me of the day last December that I paid for the Chick-fil-a order of a car behind me.

Has someone ever surprised you with anonymous generosity? Have you ever done something anonymously to make another's day? Have you ever had someone do something nice for you and then decided to pay it forward by passing along the kindness? If you haven't answered yes to these, especially the last two questions, then I challenge you to make these a goal!

Of course that's not the only way to pay it forward. One can also do it without being anonymous. For instance, a few weeks ago while we were at Geauga Lake, a mom and her daughters gave up their lounge chairs to my friend and I, as well as our 5 children. The mom was packing up to leave and saw that seven of us were sharing one lounge chair to have our lunch, so she offered us her additional 3 chairs. At a place as crowded as Geauga Lake, it's a BIG DEAL sometimes to get one chair, let alone four!

So this week, on Thursday, we got to pay it forward when I noticed a boy (who had severe disabilities) in a wheelchair and what appeared to be his mother and sister were sitting on the ground near our lounge chairs at Geauga Lake. I walked out of the water, offered them one of our chairs and then said they could have our second chair soon as we were going to be leaving.

The boy's mother gave me a shocked look--she couldn't believe that someone would offer her a chair (because let me tell you, sometimes people in public places, especially Geauga Lake I've observed, can be more rude and self-centered than kind). She graciously accepted my chair and then continued to sit on the ground while she allowed her son to lie down and enjoy the view of the children frolicking in the water.

I was really glad that I was able to pay it forward in the same setting as someone had been kind to me a few weeks ago. It has made me want to do more small acts of kindness to make another's day!

**All of these photos were taken on Thursday--at Geauga Lake where my two little fish amazed me with their swimming and the last one with a few awesome girlfriends at the Melting Pot for dinner!

Have a great weekend everyone, and remember, Pay It Forward!

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOVE this post!
LOVE the new background too.
~Amy~
Anonymous said…
Reading this reminded me of how sweet of a person you are and it made me be very thankful to know you Bethany...i do things like this all the time, even when people are rude to me when we are out in public....it makes me want to be even that much nicer....~Amber B.
Life Happens said…
It's amazing what a random act of kindness can do to someone's day. I love hearing stories of people paying it forward!

Popular Posts