One step at a time...
Back in February, I shared this rendering with you all of the new home we're building. So much has happened since then, but it happened SO SLOWLY that I'm just now getting back to updating on our house.
As you can see by the photo below, we began the process of asking zoning for a variance all the way back in January...
And it literally took until MAY to finally get everything approved, and until JUNE to start digging! In the meantime, we took many trips out to our lot dreaming of what it would be like to finally start building:
Before there were even leaves on the trees, I was admiring what will be our view from the den and our master bedroom:
As we endured the entire process of getting our variance approved and applying for permits, we had the home staked out by a surveyor. As silly as it was, these stakes meant we were progressing and that was huge at the time for us!
Once the excavating equipment showed up, it got really exciting. This photo, taken on June 24th, was before they really started digging the basement, but after they'd graded and sent quite a bit of fill dirt to another property.
I was so excited to see the big equipment out there that I just HAD to touch!
Then FINALLY on June 25th they started digging the basement. We didn't get to see any progress until the 27th because we went out of town that weekend, but boy were we excited to see what had been done when we got back!
My friend Carter was with us that day so she graciously took a photo of Scott and I on the property. It's the first of MANY we'll take there over the coming years I'm sure :)
That day we could also see exactly where our driveway would be. I can't wait to drive my car up that driveway in a few months, and I REALLY can't wait to sit there and watch as my girls ride their bikes on it, draw colorful photos with chalk and blow endless bubbles there!

Once the digging was through, the masons came in to build our basement. To avoid cracking walls, we opted for the block basement rather than a poured concrete one. I honestly don't care what materials were used to make the thing, I'm just glad I now can say I HAVE A NEW BASEMENT!!!!
And that basement will be complete with one finished area to start...my craft room!! Mr. Hubby-of-the-year decided to finish off one room in the basement for me and I could not be more excited to get down there and scrapbook, make bows and do all of the other crafty things I love. My special room will be in this part of the basement:
If the smile on my face doesn't say enough, I'm really thrilled that we are finally building. We had hoped to begin digging in April and to move in by November, but a few bumps in the road held us back. That doesn't matter now because we're moving ahead full force and may still even get moved in by the end of this year!
As the rest of the steps toward completing our dream home are done, I will continue to share. I can't wait until I'm standing in front of a house that looks like this:
{Photo has been removed...sorry!}
Stay tuned!
As you can see by the photo below, we began the process of asking zoning for a variance all the way back in January...
And it literally took until MAY to finally get everything approved, and until JUNE to start digging! In the meantime, we took many trips out to our lot dreaming of what it would be like to finally start building:
Before there were even leaves on the trees, I was admiring what will be our view from the den and our master bedroom:
As we endured the entire process of getting our variance approved and applying for permits, we had the home staked out by a surveyor. As silly as it was, these stakes meant we were progressing and that was huge at the time for us!
Once the excavating equipment showed up, it got really exciting. This photo, taken on June 24th, was before they really started digging the basement, but after they'd graded and sent quite a bit of fill dirt to another property.
I was so excited to see the big equipment out there that I just HAD to touch!
Then FINALLY on June 25th they started digging the basement. We didn't get to see any progress until the 27th because we went out of town that weekend, but boy were we excited to see what had been done when we got back!
My friend Carter was with us that day so she graciously took a photo of Scott and I on the property. It's the first of MANY we'll take there over the coming years I'm sure :)
That day we could also see exactly where our driveway would be. I can't wait to drive my car up that driveway in a few months, and I REALLY can't wait to sit there and watch as my girls ride their bikes on it, draw colorful photos with chalk and blow endless bubbles there!
Once the digging was through, the masons came in to build our basement. To avoid cracking walls, we opted for the block basement rather than a poured concrete one. I honestly don't care what materials were used to make the thing, I'm just glad I now can say I HAVE A NEW BASEMENT!!!!
And that basement will be complete with one finished area to start...my craft room!! Mr. Hubby-of-the-year decided to finish off one room in the basement for me and I could not be more excited to get down there and scrapbook, make bows and do all of the other crafty things I love. My special room will be in this part of the basement:
If the smile on my face doesn't say enough, I'm really thrilled that we are finally building. We had hoped to begin digging in April and to move in by November, but a few bumps in the road held us back. That doesn't matter now because we're moving ahead full force and may still even get moved in by the end of this year!
As the rest of the steps toward completing our dream home are done, I will continue to share. I can't wait until I'm standing in front of a house that looks like this:{Photo has been removed...sorry!}
Stay tuned!


Comments
I hope the rest of the process continues to go smoothly!