Time for Grown-ups
In the small amount of time I've had recently to devote to blogging, I have been trying to focus on recording details about things that we've done as a family or things about the kids. This by no means signifies that we don't get any adult time for just Scott and I, or with our friends! We actually have had quite a few nights out recently and weekends away. We are very blessed to have parents and my sisters who are always willing to babysit so that we can go to weddings and reunions, and out for an occasional dinner without our girls.
In June, I traveled to St. Mary's, Ohio to my friend Katie's bridal shower and bachelorette party. Katie and I were sorority sisters at OU and have kept in touch ever since she graduated (a year after me) even though she lives in Atlanta, Georgia. That same weekend, Scott stayed in Cleveland, but had a guys' night out at a concert.



Also in June, I got to go out for a going-away dinner in honor of my friend Elysia (Riley's mom for those of you who read the post about Jaden's first sleepover and our night out at the movies to see Toy Story 3!). We went to a place in Hudson called North End Market and enjoyed some dinner and wine. I'm not usually a wine drinker, but I tried a flight of whites and loved them! I even bought a bottle of the Riesling I'd tried after dinner because it was so good.
On June 17th Scott and I went out for our 5-year wedding anniversary celebration. We went to Little Italy and ate at Etna's, then browsed some of the shops before having dessert at Presti's bakery. Both dinner and dessert were delicious, and it was so wonderful not to have to occupy children while we waited for our food to arrive :)
At the end of June we were accompanied by 5 friends on a trip to Put-In-Bay. For any of you not familiar with PIB, it is on South Bass Island on Lake Erie. We've taken the kids there a few times on my father-in-law's boat and often get dinner on the island. At the end of June we got to spend an entire weekend on the island and it just happened to coincide with their Pirate Festival so I got a hat to wear for the festivities!
We ate at Hooligans and the Boardwalk (two best places to eat on the island in my opinion!), watched some bands at the various bars / restaurants and during the day Saturday some of the group rented scooters to ride around the island. Scott's been going to PIB every year for probably 10 years now and it looks like the tradition shall continue for more years to come. It's fun to just be on a small island with friends who we don't get to see very often!


For our anniversary Scott's mom gave us some money and said to use it to go out one night while she watched Jaden and Sienna. So we picked a Tuesday night a few weeks ago and went out for Mexican food. We enjoyed some delicious cuisine and then walked around a shopping area in Hudson called First and Main. It was another perfect night out--just the two of us!
Last weekend, as I already posted about, we had my friend Katie's wedding to Mike (the same Katie whose showers I attended in June!). That was a fun weekend away with my sorority sisters and friends :)
Finally, over this past weekend we had another fun evening out with friends. Scott's college fraternity brothers put together a reunion and about 25 guys and many of their wives / girlfriends gathered in Columbus to catch up. Last Friday we drove down to Columbus after I was done being "mama of 5" for my last day and Scott met up with a few friends to hang out that night. Saturday I got to meet a friend for lunch and do a little shopping at Easton, a great outdoor mall in Columbus, and then we got ready for the actual reunion. We had a buffet dinner all together and then just hung out at two places the guys had reserved for us. There was live music at the second place which was great to listen to as we caught up on the happenings in one another's lives!

Don't get me wrong--I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Jaden and Sienna so much. But it is so good for parents to get out sometimes on their own and I firmly believe that my marriage wouldn't be nearly as strong if I didn't get to spend time alone out with Scott two or three times a month. When the girls were younger we were lucky to get out once a month and we cherished that time. Now that they are getting older we are able to get out more and we always enjoy ourselves. We don't have anymore weekends away from our kids planned for the rest of this year (at least as of now) and that is fine with me. I'm good with a date night every few weeks and a girls' night out every once in awhile too!
In June, I traveled to St. Mary's, Ohio to my friend Katie's bridal shower and bachelorette party. Katie and I were sorority sisters at OU and have kept in touch ever since she graduated (a year after me) even though she lives in Atlanta, Georgia. That same weekend, Scott stayed in Cleveland, but had a guys' night out at a concert.



Also in June, I got to go out for a going-away dinner in honor of my friend Elysia (Riley's mom for those of you who read the post about Jaden's first sleepover and our night out at the movies to see Toy Story 3!). We went to a place in Hudson called North End Market and enjoyed some dinner and wine. I'm not usually a wine drinker, but I tried a flight of whites and loved them! I even bought a bottle of the Riesling I'd tried after dinner because it was so good.
On June 17th Scott and I went out for our 5-year wedding anniversary celebration. We went to Little Italy and ate at Etna's, then browsed some of the shops before having dessert at Presti's bakery. Both dinner and dessert were delicious, and it was so wonderful not to have to occupy children while we waited for our food to arrive :)
At the end of June we were accompanied by 5 friends on a trip to Put-In-Bay. For any of you not familiar with PIB, it is on South Bass Island on Lake Erie. We've taken the kids there a few times on my father-in-law's boat and often get dinner on the island. At the end of June we got to spend an entire weekend on the island and it just happened to coincide with their Pirate Festival so I got a hat to wear for the festivities!We ate at Hooligans and the Boardwalk (two best places to eat on the island in my opinion!), watched some bands at the various bars / restaurants and during the day Saturday some of the group rented scooters to ride around the island. Scott's been going to PIB every year for probably 10 years now and it looks like the tradition shall continue for more years to come. It's fun to just be on a small island with friends who we don't get to see very often!


For our anniversary Scott's mom gave us some money and said to use it to go out one night while she watched Jaden and Sienna. So we picked a Tuesday night a few weeks ago and went out for Mexican food. We enjoyed some delicious cuisine and then walked around a shopping area in Hudson called First and Main. It was another perfect night out--just the two of us!
Last weekend, as I already posted about, we had my friend Katie's wedding to Mike (the same Katie whose showers I attended in June!). That was a fun weekend away with my sorority sisters and friends :)Finally, over this past weekend we had another fun evening out with friends. Scott's college fraternity brothers put together a reunion and about 25 guys and many of their wives / girlfriends gathered in Columbus to catch up. Last Friday we drove down to Columbus after I was done being "mama of 5" for my last day and Scott met up with a few friends to hang out that night. Saturday I got to meet a friend for lunch and do a little shopping at Easton, a great outdoor mall in Columbus, and then we got ready for the actual reunion. We had a buffet dinner all together and then just hung out at two places the guys had reserved for us. There was live music at the second place which was great to listen to as we caught up on the happenings in one another's lives!

Don't get me wrong--I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Jaden and Sienna so much. But it is so good for parents to get out sometimes on their own and I firmly believe that my marriage wouldn't be nearly as strong if I didn't get to spend time alone out with Scott two or three times a month. When the girls were younger we were lucky to get out once a month and we cherished that time. Now that they are getting older we are able to get out more and we always enjoy ourselves. We don't have anymore weekends away from our kids planned for the rest of this year (at least as of now) and that is fine with me. I'm good with a date night every few weeks and a girls' night out every once in awhile too!


Comments