Memorial Day "Swim"

I'm sick of apologizing, but once again I'm sorry for being a negligent blogger! It is so difficult for me to fit everything into my day--working out, playing with my kids, reading stories, cleaning the house, dishes, making meals, swimming, running around outside, and so on. By rest time each day (which we call naps) I'm ready for a rest myself and by the time we get the kids down to bed all I want to do is snuggle up next to Scott on the couch. I'm going to try to do better though. One thing that could help me out is if any of you other bloggers might be able to tell me a way to upload my photos more quickly / efficiently. I use my SLR camera almost exclusively these days and I can only upload one or two photos without blogger getting overloaded....grrr! It takes a good half hour to upload photos and not because of a slow internet connection--it's because of the size of the files! So if I could cut down on that time then I could blog more regularly. Advice, anyone?

I left you all with quite a cliffhanger on my last post. I'm sure you all wondered why I was soaking wet in a long dress.....well let's get to that story!

For Memorial Day Weekend we spent two days with my mom in Columbus (more about that later!) followed by three days at my father-in-law's gorgeous lake house on Lake Erie in Sandusky, OH. As soon as we got to the lake house we got ready and headed to the pool...


We have two little fish on our hands again this year! I was so happy that the long winter with zero swimming (actually one short swim for Jaden in April, but none for Sienna) didn't interfere with J & S's love of the water. Jaden is pretty independent in the water so long as she has her life jacket on, although she's overly cautious in the water (wonder who she got that from!--ME!) so she prefers to load up on flotation gear including her water wings and sometimes even a noodle like above. Both girls had a great time that day (the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend) jumping into the water, throwing toys into the pool, playing with the noodles and having Daddy swim with them. We had a picnic dinner by the pool that night so they got to swim twice!

On Sunday we swam again, then laid the girls down for early naps so that we could all go to dinner somewhere via boat once they woke up. We packed up and headed out around 5pm and chose to go to Put-In-Bay, South Bass Island for dinner. Scott and I LOVE Hooligans, an Irish pub / restaurant there so we were happy to see that nobody was waiting in line to eat there. We got right in, ate some delicious Irish food and then walked around the downtown Put-In-Bay area. We even got to eat ice cream while we were on the island so all-in-all we were having the perfect evening :)


As we got back to Point Retreat, where the house is, Scott and his dad docked the boat while I read Jaden and Sienna a few stories. We were also admiring the gorgeous sunset and singing silly songs to pass the few minutes it took to tie up the boat.

Once it was time to step off the boat, I handed each of the girls over to the guys on the dock and then got ready to step over myself. Armed with a little backpack holding my camera, blackberry and some of the girls' stuff, I grabbed onto my father-in-law's arm, began to step and....

WOOSH!

I went right into the water by the dock! My long dress prevented me from being able to step across and it was inevitable. The minute or two following my fall is funny to look back on now, although I'm sure seemed a little tense at the time. My father-in-law was desperately trying to help me not to fall all the way in and was very concerned that I was hurt (I wasn't at all). Scott was holding Sienna and looking at me in shock. I was yelling for my father-in-law to get my camera, meaning to get the backpack off of my back (he did get it and the camera and blackberry were unharmed--woohoo!). My father-in-law was telling Scott to help him pull me out and Scott didn't know what to do with Sienna, still in his arms. Finally everyone stopped panicking and the guys pulled me out. I was crying at first thinking my camera and blackberry were gonzo, but then immediately started laughing about everything once I realized that the backpack didn't allow any water to get onto them.

So overall, a fun time and a crazy story to tell :) Our first lake weekend of the year was definitely a memorable one!!

Comments

Life Happens said…
Love the pictures, especially the sun set! So glad the camera wasn't damaged! oh, and of course, glad you were not hurt. :)

Popular Posts