Flashback Friday II--"Lady" of the Rings!
Okay, I couldn't resist!
I thought 4 posts would be enough for today, but when I thought about how I didn't include a cute story or even a better description of the newborn photo of Jaden, I was filled with regret.
Well it might not have been that dramatic, but pretty darn close!
Last night at dinner though, Jaden looked at my wedding ring set and said, "What is that?"
"My rings," I replied smiling (they're beautiful and I LOVE them!)
"What's that ON the ring mommy?"
"Diamonds sweetie!"
This conversation got me thinking just a bit and recalling one of the scariest yet funniest incidents (or rather, combination of incidents) from two years ago when Jaden was about Sienna's age. At 1 1/2-2 years old, Jaden was obsessed with mine and Scott's wedding rings. She always wanted to touch and hold them and we had to take many precautions in order to keep them out of her tiny hands. At this age she also didn't communicate all that well--just would say words here and there, but no sentences yet.
Well, one Saturday, Scott took a shower mid-day and afterwards, didn't put his ring back onto his finger or prop his glasses back onto his nose. Both were left near his sink in our bathroom within Jaden's little hands' reach...this was apparently recipe for disaster!
A few hours went by and Scott noticed his ring wasn't on, so he went to look for it. He recalled leaving it next to his sink and was shocked to find it missing. We both immediately turned to Jaden, our gem-obsessed little princess, and proceeded to ask her where Daddy's ring might be. By that time she'd either a) decided she was never going to tell or more likely, b) had taken it but forgotten where she'd dropped it / put it / left it / etc. We did not find the ring that evening, or the next, or even the week thereafter...
At this point, I was starting to think I was thankful at least that it wasn't MY ring missing both because my rings would be most costly, and because then Scott couldn't blame me for being careless or not putting them out of the little lady's reach. Several weeks passed and we thought we'd never find the tiny gem. We accepted this and Scott even made plans to pick out a new ring, this time considering a less expensive ring just in case it was ever "lost" again (Mind you, he'd already lost one ring in Lake Erie!!).
Well one morning I reached under our ottoman in the family room to grab a DVD case and to my very own surprise I found the ring!! It was right there, next to the DVD case! I was shocked, surprised and so excited! We had no idea how the ring ended up there, for surely the ottoman had been moved and adjusted many times over the weeks since the ring had gone missing, but none of that mattered. Scott had his ring back and not one penny was spent on a new one!
Think that's the end of this saga? HA! No!
We discussed with Jaden that she should not touch Mommy and Daddy's rings after Scott's ring was found. We also made sure to put our rings into high places each time we took them off, and decided to only take them off when absolutely necessary and to go to sleep (we both are uncomfortable sleeping in them!). I thought for sure that we'd gotten through to our Jadie-girl and that she'd never even try to touch our rings again. Oh boy was I ever naive!
I left Jaden occupied by Sesame Street one morning and went to take my shower. I remember leaving my rings on my dresser and even wondering for a moment if they were far enough out of Jaden's reach. I decided they were, and also that there was no way she'd come into my room because Sesame Street completely enthralled her back then. Ohhh how I was wrong!
As soon as I got out of the shower, I went to put my rings back on and was in an immediate panic when I found they were NOT THERE! I looked out into our family room and saw Jaden in the exact same position I'd left her, sitting on the couch, attention captured by Big Bird and Elmo. Confused, I went back into my room, looked all around and did find my engagement ring on the floor. I was relieved at least to have found the more expensive half to my set, but still perplexed as to where the wedding band part was! I went to Jaden, kept asking her where Mommy's ring was and she did not respond in any way. I searched her hands, the couch and the surrounding toys. I decided to stop freaking out and went to finish getting ready. Then finally I made one final effort to get my ring back. I said to Jaden, "Where is JADEN'S ring?" and I kid you not, she opened her tiny hand and produced my ring right then and there. I am still in the dark as to where the heck she'd been hiding that ring when I originally asked for it!!
Oh my dear Jaden, don't you wish our rings were really YOURS? haha, dream on princess!
I thought 4 posts would be enough for today, but when I thought about how I didn't include a cute story or even a better description of the newborn photo of Jaden, I was filled with regret.
Well it might not have been that dramatic, but pretty darn close!
Last night at dinner though, Jaden looked at my wedding ring set and said, "What is that?"
"My rings," I replied smiling (they're beautiful and I LOVE them!)
"What's that ON the ring mommy?"
"Diamonds sweetie!"
This conversation got me thinking just a bit and recalling one of the scariest yet funniest incidents (or rather, combination of incidents) from two years ago when Jaden was about Sienna's age. At 1 1/2-2 years old, Jaden was obsessed with mine and Scott's wedding rings. She always wanted to touch and hold them and we had to take many precautions in order to keep them out of her tiny hands. At this age she also didn't communicate all that well--just would say words here and there, but no sentences yet.
Well, one Saturday, Scott took a shower mid-day and afterwards, didn't put his ring back onto his finger or prop his glasses back onto his nose. Both were left near his sink in our bathroom within Jaden's little hands' reach...this was apparently recipe for disaster!
A few hours went by and Scott noticed his ring wasn't on, so he went to look for it. He recalled leaving it next to his sink and was shocked to find it missing. We both immediately turned to Jaden, our gem-obsessed little princess, and proceeded to ask her where Daddy's ring might be. By that time she'd either a) decided she was never going to tell or more likely, b) had taken it but forgotten where she'd dropped it / put it / left it / etc. We did not find the ring that evening, or the next, or even the week thereafter...
At this point, I was starting to think I was thankful at least that it wasn't MY ring missing both because my rings would be most costly, and because then Scott couldn't blame me for being careless or not putting them out of the little lady's reach. Several weeks passed and we thought we'd never find the tiny gem. We accepted this and Scott even made plans to pick out a new ring, this time considering a less expensive ring just in case it was ever "lost" again (Mind you, he'd already lost one ring in Lake Erie!!).
Well one morning I reached under our ottoman in the family room to grab a DVD case and to my very own surprise I found the ring!! It was right there, next to the DVD case! I was shocked, surprised and so excited! We had no idea how the ring ended up there, for surely the ottoman had been moved and adjusted many times over the weeks since the ring had gone missing, but none of that mattered. Scott had his ring back and not one penny was spent on a new one!
Think that's the end of this saga? HA! No!
We discussed with Jaden that she should not touch Mommy and Daddy's rings after Scott's ring was found. We also made sure to put our rings into high places each time we took them off, and decided to only take them off when absolutely necessary and to go to sleep (we both are uncomfortable sleeping in them!). I thought for sure that we'd gotten through to our Jadie-girl and that she'd never even try to touch our rings again. Oh boy was I ever naive!
I left Jaden occupied by Sesame Street one morning and went to take my shower. I remember leaving my rings on my dresser and even wondering for a moment if they were far enough out of Jaden's reach. I decided they were, and also that there was no way she'd come into my room because Sesame Street completely enthralled her back then. Ohhh how I was wrong!
As soon as I got out of the shower, I went to put my rings back on and was in an immediate panic when I found they were NOT THERE! I looked out into our family room and saw Jaden in the exact same position I'd left her, sitting on the couch, attention captured by Big Bird and Elmo. Confused, I went back into my room, looked all around and did find my engagement ring on the floor. I was relieved at least to have found the more expensive half to my set, but still perplexed as to where the wedding band part was! I went to Jaden, kept asking her where Mommy's ring was and she did not respond in any way. I searched her hands, the couch and the surrounding toys. I decided to stop freaking out and went to finish getting ready. Then finally I made one final effort to get my ring back. I said to Jaden, "Where is JADEN'S ring?" and I kid you not, she opened her tiny hand and produced my ring right then and there. I am still in the dark as to where the heck she'd been hiding that ring when I originally asked for it!!
Oh my dear Jaden, don't you wish our rings were really YOURS? haha, dream on princess!


Comments
Cxx