Chirp Chirp
We have officially spent 35 days at Lake Erie. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place. Each year I go home and say "this has been the BEST summer!" And each summer tops the last.
Something new and amazing to watch here was some new birdies go from tiny to flying. There was a nest at the pavilion at the pool. At the beginning of July the eggs had just hatched and as we celebrated the 4th and at the annual breakfast potluck near the pool, we could just barely see little beaks and hear quiet squawking as mama swallow brought them worms and bugs to eat. It was the coolest thing!!
They kept growing and all of a sudden, one day they appeared big enough to fly. All five were perched on the nest and would go crazy when mom or dad would bring food. The parents were on constant meal duty--kinda like how a brand new breastfeeding mama is with a little person!
We watched the birdies each day at the pool. It was fascinating! It felt like we were scientists observing each step. Finally there was only one birdie remaining in the nest because the other four had flown to a nearby tree! Mom and dad still brought snacks constantly and on occasion would stop at the nest to make sure their nervous little one was fed.
The other four would still get so excited for food. They would wiggle and squawk and fluff up their feathers. We watched for a long time. Forget swimming, this was very interesting!!
That evening after dinner we left for a bit and were excited to see that the birdies had moved...to the lake house deck!!! You could tell which ones were young as their feathers were still fluffy and appeared soft. It was exciting!
I walked outside, fully prepared to scare away the new swallows, and as I slowly walked towards the railing I shot a few photos. The little birdie I was closest too started to get really uncomfortable--chirping, moving its feet--but it was afraid to fly away. As soon as I saw this I came back in to leave him alone. I'd definitely gotten a good picture or two. I cannot say enough how spectacular it was to watch these birds grow up and leave the nest!!








Comments