I Heart Ribbon

This afternoon I took my three little princesses to the grocery store.  It was an ordinary day, which for our family means the girls were dressed casual yet cute and bows adorned their beautiful hair.  As the woman behind the deli counter weighed a pound of ham for us she commented on the girls and asked if they were dressed for a special occasion.  Ha!  She obviously had no clue who she was asking this to.  My girls wear bows even when they're in their sweats, and they even ask for me to style their hair and put a bow in to match whatever they're putting on each day.

I learned how to sew bows when Jaden had just turned a year old.  Ever since, I've made upwards of 50-75 bows each year, most for our girls and some for friends.  As a result, I've acquired QUITE a ribbon collection:


Come on now, don't judge...


Over the past year my ribbon has become an out-of-control DISASTER.  I never totally unpacked my craft room, so supplies for making bows were still half packed, and the other half were covering any and every possible surface of the room (floor...shelves...table...).  Since I've invited some friends over to make crafts this Friday, I decided that it's finally time to get things under control with all of these spools of ribbon!

I started by dividing ribbon by color & type:


As I went, I secured each spool with a straight pin so that the ribbon would stay wound tightly.


As I divided and organized and unpacked I couldn't believe my own eyes.  The ribbon kept multiplying!  Please don't send me to RAA (ribbon addicts annonymous)!!


While I worked for several hours at this organizing process, we charged up the battery of our drill and then Scott came down to drill some holes into a shelf for me.


The shelf is one that I designed when I was 13 and that my grandfather built for me.  It's been quite handy over the years and has found it's permanent home in my craft room.  Even though this is a keepsake, I believe in making my belongings "work" for me and in order to make my shelf very purposeful I wanted to drill some holes to put dowel rods through to hold all of my ribbon.

We got 1/3 to 1/2 done tonight before Scott (and the drill battery) tired out.  I'm super excited with how well things turned out:


I hope we'll tackle the rest soon, but for now I put it into boxes organized by color:


I'm so grateful to have this big shelf to use for supplies for one of my very favorite hobbies, and I'm so thankful that my hubby gave up some relaxing time this evening to help me tackle the first part of this project.

Oh yeah, and I'm SO thankful that my girls love to wear the bows I make, even on days that aren't a special occasion :)

Comments

Life Happens said…
Wow, that is a lot of bows. You could be the President of RAA!

Love how it's all organized though.

Popular Posts