7th Annual Girls Weekend
This past weekend I hosted my annual "Girls Weekend." It all started in March of 2005 when, less than a year after we left OU, I invited my roommates from my senior year up to my apartment for a fun visit. In the past seven years since that first weekend gathering, I've held six more Girls Weekends (we skipped last year since we had just moved into our new home and I was 7 months pregnant in January). I've hosted several larger groups of friends from OU, but this year I decided to keep it simple and just had the three roommates from senior year with whom I've remained closest since we graduated.
The two girls on either side of me in the photo came up Friday night and two of my friends who live nearby joined us for a game, some wine and some munchies including "bean dip" which was a staple at our house during college. The recipe is below. We had a fun evening just hanging out and catching up.
Saturday morning our other roommate (far right) arrived just in time for us to head out to the spa for shellac manicures followed by dinner and a stop at a winery I recently discovered just a few towns away. We laughed, we cried and we enjoyed one another in a way only friends who have been close for 12-ish years could.
I am SO thankful for these three incredible friends and sorority sisters. They were all three in my wedding, stood by me through my unexpected first pregnancy as well as the planned pregnancies that followed, have thrown me wedding showers, baby showers and have celebrated many other birthdays and special events with me. I've enjoyed being a part of the special moments in their lives too. Two of them are married, one has a baby and the last one gets married next month. We've traveled to many places together near and far, and hope to plan a trip together again next year. But aside from all of the momentous occasions we've shared, the most meaningful memories with these friends have been those when we've just hung out in our PJs talking until we're nearly asleep and sharing the ups and downs of our lives with one another. Or talking and opening up over a shared bottle of wine. No matter what, I know these friends will always be there for me and I will be there for them!
Looking forward to Girls Weekend 2013 and to fifty more after that one!
I make our "Bean Dip" recipe from college all the time when I host friends at our house. Everyone asks for the recipe, so here it is!
Bean Dip:
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 jar any salsa
1 package frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
1 can chicken, drained (I usually can find this near the salsa and other hispanic foods at the grocery store)
1 can black beans, rinsed
Mix all five ingredients together in a casserole dish, then bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Serve with tortilla chips
The two girls on either side of me in the photo came up Friday night and two of my friends who live nearby joined us for a game, some wine and some munchies including "bean dip" which was a staple at our house during college. The recipe is below. We had a fun evening just hanging out and catching up.
Saturday morning our other roommate (far right) arrived just in time for us to head out to the spa for shellac manicures followed by dinner and a stop at a winery I recently discovered just a few towns away. We laughed, we cried and we enjoyed one another in a way only friends who have been close for 12-ish years could.
I am SO thankful for these three incredible friends and sorority sisters. They were all three in my wedding, stood by me through my unexpected first pregnancy as well as the planned pregnancies that followed, have thrown me wedding showers, baby showers and have celebrated many other birthdays and special events with me. I've enjoyed being a part of the special moments in their lives too. Two of them are married, one has a baby and the last one gets married next month. We've traveled to many places together near and far, and hope to plan a trip together again next year. But aside from all of the momentous occasions we've shared, the most meaningful memories with these friends have been those when we've just hung out in our PJs talking until we're nearly asleep and sharing the ups and downs of our lives with one another. Or talking and opening up over a shared bottle of wine. No matter what, I know these friends will always be there for me and I will be there for them!
Looking forward to Girls Weekend 2013 and to fifty more after that one!
I make our "Bean Dip" recipe from college all the time when I host friends at our house. Everyone asks for the recipe, so here it is!
Bean Dip:
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 jar any salsa
1 package frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
1 can chicken, drained (I usually can find this near the salsa and other hispanic foods at the grocery store)
1 can black beans, rinsed
Mix all five ingredients together in a casserole dish, then bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Serve with tortilla chips



Comments