Let them be little...

It has been a LOOOONG day...

After picking up hundreds, no thousands of things around the house this morning and putting most of it in it's proper place, I showered, took both kids to school (Sienna's first day of Montessori Toddler & Parent class was today!!), participated in Sienna's class, worked out, picked Jaden up from school, met my sisters at McDonalds for a lunch / playdate, ran errands with my sisters, ate a delicious dinner that my brother-in-law (to be) cooked for us, and then braved it home through terrible snow conditions. Whew...I told you it was a long day! I started at 5am and didn't stop until...well I still haven't stopped :)

I had so much more that I wanted to do tonight...upload photos to be printed, blog about a few other things and include pictures, clean up a few things in my bedroom, fold laundry, etc...

But then I shared a fun moment with my girls recounting everything we did today (they chose to talk about our day instead of a story tonight--so cute!) and they asked if they could snuggle in mommy & daddy's bed to fall asleep. So, I, the sleep queen, who follows every sleep rule ever made and more, said yes...

And then I posted a brief status update about them in my bed on facebook...

Which led to my friend posting a link to a song that I've heard before and actually have a photo slide show to...

But thinking about the song has me all emotional now! Any guesses what song I'm referring to? I know I've been vague up until now :)

It's "Let them be little" by Lonestar. The chorus goes like this:

Let them be little 'cause they're only that way for a while
Give them hope, give them praise, give them love every day
Let them cry, let them giggle, let them sleep in the middle
Oh just let them be little

Now I could go on and on, but I'm going to try to keep this short and sweet. I have been thinking for days and days now about how I miss my college days and living with my college friends so very much, and how one day I'm going to look back on these days of mothering two toddlers and miss these days terribly too. Don't take this wrong--I'm not saying at all that I want to go back and re-live my college life. I just wish I had not taken advantage of it; I wish I had appreciated it more, been a little more spontaneous instead of studying or stressing about studying so much. And I keep trying to apply that to my life now so that I can be more in the moment with my girls and let them just be the little princesses they are. I know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that one day I will look back and even though I try to cherish these days now, I will wish I'd treasured them even more. They are little for such a short time.

"The days are long, but the years are short"--ain't that the truth :)

So tonight, I'm putting aside all that I'd wanted to accomplish. I've done enough anyway. And I'm going to slip into my own PJs and go to snuggle with my girls. I'm going to "Let them be little" and try not to be emotional thinking that these days too are going to end one day.

Goodnight my friends, and look out this weekend for the photos I'd wanted to post today!

Comments

Jillian said…
You made my head spin!!
I've been having many of these same emotional thoughts myself lately. I have hated that I have returned to work and that I am missing out on so much with Reagan. And worse, I am so tired all the time from working so much that I feel like I am just a tired grumpy grouch when I am home. I enjoyed my time off for Christmas, and then now I have been home sick for the past week, and I have LOVED every minute of it! Even being sick. I've had the same thoughts about how Reagan is growing up too fast and how I will never get this time back with her again. I want to let her be little, and I want her to stay little as well. Our girls are growing up way too fast!

Popular Posts