Life cycles
Have you ever noticed that in your life, you follow one or more particular cycles? For instance, you just get through a heap of laundry, feel quite accomplished for a few days, and then another heap of laundry is at your feet ready for you to tackle. Or you have two weeks of really chaotic business, followed by a week of calm.
Well, I guess maybe it's just me...
My life DEFINITELY follows many cyclic patterns, particularly in reference to how busy we are vs. how calm our calendar is, how I'm doing with laundry, how "put together" our house is and how clean my car is.
Just last Wednesday I posted on how I'd done many things throughout my day, but still had lots of time to myself and lots of time to be a good wife and a good mommy. Yesterday and today I feel like I'm on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. :( I feel like I am drowning in piles of things that need done...piles of stuff I cleaned out of my car that need put away, piles of laundry ready to be folded, piles of paperwork to sort through / fill out / find a place for, piles of Christmas decorations ready to be put up, piles of fall decorations ready to go back into their boxes, a random pile in my bedroom needing to be sorted through and put away, and a basement that might as well be one big pile of kids toys and my craft stuff. Agghh!
I have taken a good and honest look at myself and I realize I might not have done as much on my "to do" list this weekend, but I had a horrible headache from Saturday morning through Sunday evening, and when I wasn't focused on that, I was doing family things, hosting scrapbooking and snuggling with my husband.
So it's not like I completely slacked off for a week and let all of this catch up to me.
I am trying to look at our calendar and look at the things we are currently involved in to evaluate how to not let these things all catch up to me at once. Any suggestions? Any advice out there? I'm definitely willing to take it! I recently adopted a strategy on my calendar that I call "free day" where I highlight an entire day each week (sometimes two days depending on the week) where during the day I don't schedule anything--no playdates, no errands, NOTHING. Those days are my catch-up days where I know I can bust right through my to-dos and feel very accomplished. Unfortunately the "free day" this week isn't until Friday and we have a busy Wednesday and Thursday before we get to that day...
With it being December 1st, I want nothing more than to enjoy the first day of the month of Christmas and to be wholeheartedly into decorating and celebrating and beginning our Christmas traditions for the year, but it is tough when there is so much to be done all around me.
I know I'll get through it; I always do. But then I'll just be ready for the next round on the cycle...
Perhaps I'll just put in my request to Santa early this year. All I want for Christmas is the gift of TIME!
Well, I guess maybe it's just me...
My life DEFINITELY follows many cyclic patterns, particularly in reference to how busy we are vs. how calm our calendar is, how I'm doing with laundry, how "put together" our house is and how clean my car is.
Just last Wednesday I posted on how I'd done many things throughout my day, but still had lots of time to myself and lots of time to be a good wife and a good mommy. Yesterday and today I feel like I'm on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. :( I feel like I am drowning in piles of things that need done...piles of stuff I cleaned out of my car that need put away, piles of laundry ready to be folded, piles of paperwork to sort through / fill out / find a place for, piles of Christmas decorations ready to be put up, piles of fall decorations ready to go back into their boxes, a random pile in my bedroom needing to be sorted through and put away, and a basement that might as well be one big pile of kids toys and my craft stuff. Agghh!
I have taken a good and honest look at myself and I realize I might not have done as much on my "to do" list this weekend, but I had a horrible headache from Saturday morning through Sunday evening, and when I wasn't focused on that, I was doing family things, hosting scrapbooking and snuggling with my husband.
So it's not like I completely slacked off for a week and let all of this catch up to me.
I am trying to look at our calendar and look at the things we are currently involved in to evaluate how to not let these things all catch up to me at once. Any suggestions? Any advice out there? I'm definitely willing to take it! I recently adopted a strategy on my calendar that I call "free day" where I highlight an entire day each week (sometimes two days depending on the week) where during the day I don't schedule anything--no playdates, no errands, NOTHING. Those days are my catch-up days where I know I can bust right through my to-dos and feel very accomplished. Unfortunately the "free day" this week isn't until Friday and we have a busy Wednesday and Thursday before we get to that day...
With it being December 1st, I want nothing more than to enjoy the first day of the month of Christmas and to be wholeheartedly into decorating and celebrating and beginning our Christmas traditions for the year, but it is tough when there is so much to be done all around me.
I know I'll get through it; I always do. But then I'll just be ready for the next round on the cycle...
Perhaps I'll just put in my request to Santa early this year. All I want for Christmas is the gift of TIME!


Comments