Becoming a 'Yogi'
A few months ago, my therapist told me that in order to always stay ahead of the debilitating stoke I suffered at the end of last February, I'd have to work out almost daily. I whined. I cried. I wished I could turn back time. But he said "look at it this way--you'll be in the best shape of your life!" So in addition to being blessed tremendously by all of my family and friends from the minute word of this crazy accident hit home, in addition to being blessed just to have survived what doctors thought I would not, and in addition to having the opportunity to work with an incredible team of therapists, I now was practically being forced to always remain physically fit. Funny how something so simple would upset me!
Flash forward a few weeks when we took Bristol to 'Snowga'--snow themed yoga for kids (it was sooooo cute!) and I struck up a conversation with the yoga studio owner afterwards (she's been my friend for years). Through it, I told her I was told I'd have to have a hip replacement by age 40--a hard pill to swallow when I realized this. She responded, "my mom was told to get a hip replacement and prolonged it SIX years with yoga!" This made me feel 'in control!' In a situation I'd consistently had NO control over I finally felt that there was SOMETHING positive I could do! I was going to become the biggest Yogi EVER! Ha!
By December I'd told myself that as soon as I drove myself I'd make the yoga studio my top priority. I set a goal that I'd go to yoga as soon as school resumed after break for my girls. And that's just what I did!!
I've gone three times now and it's a great challenge for me as well as a nice addition to my daily workouts. I'm excited to be in a group again and by the challenge of learning something brand new. Add this to the numerous blessings this accident has afforded me--I am loving yoga!





Comments