Preschool's Out!
Yesterday was Sienna's preschool carnival and picnic. For her last day of school, Sienna's teacher put together some cute activities for both her class and the 4s class, and Bristol and I got to join her for the morning.
Before school, Sienna made little bags of s'more ingredients for her classmates:
When we got to her school, we listened to some opening comments about the year and Sienna's class sang their good-morning song.
Sienna, however, was doing this during the song:
I'm not sure why she didn't want to go up and sing, but I was sad. She'd had a great morning up to that point, but I just think she got nervous about all of the parents and extra kids present today.
After the song, the 4s class did a little performance of Eric Carle's Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See. Then we set out to enjoy the carnival activities that Sienna's teacher had planned and set up for the children.
Here is Sienna with her teacher. We are sad to hear that she is going to leave our school for a full-time position at an elite private academy in the area, but we are so excited for her new adventure. To thank her for the great year and to bid her farewell, Sienna gave her a "summer care package"--beach towel, magazine, gummy bears, sun screen and gift certificates to our local ice cream shop.
Our first stop at the "carnival" was face painting. Sienna got the cutest little ice cream cone painted on her cheek!
Then Sienna and her classmatesran around with eggs on spoons and miraculously didn't crack any eggs open had egg and spoon races.
Bristol hung out in her stroller and munched on cheerios while her sister ran around. Bristol's at the age now where if I don't keep her contained in some sort of seat, she exhausts me in a matter of 15 minutes by finding the most dangerous spot to play or most dangerous thing to do (like play on stairs, for instance) and fights me kicking and screaming if I dare suggest we do something else. So I keep her contained while we're out if there are too many things for her to get into, and when we're home or in baby-safe places she can run around and explore all she wants!
Thankfully, Bristol didn't mind being in her stroller and in fact had a lot of fun watching the big kids play!
Next, it was off to the courtyard adjacent to Sienna's classroom for some chalk painting! We also took group photos in the courtyard which turned out adorably, but I don't want to share other children's faces without parents' permission--sorry!!
Once we'd done all of the carnival activities we went into the music and movement room where Kindermusik was doing a program just for our kids. Bristol and Sienna loved the rain sticks!
There was a picnic after the Kindermusik program, but we had three different year-end events today and missed out on lunch with Sienna's school friends in order to squeeze in one of the other events for a short while.
I cannot believe this school year is ending, and that Sienna is just one year away from kindergarten! She has grown up so much over this past year and in the past few months has learned and developed so quickly. We are amazed at how intelligent she is, as well as how kind and sociable she is with her friends and sisters.
I've been wanting to post on some things that make Sienna who she is at this age, so I thought I'd include them here today. Sienna, at 4 1/2:
--You are SO artistic. Your abilities far out-do my own and I'm more than 7 times your age! A few months ago you brought home your first very realistic drawing from school, of your friend James and you on a roller coaster, and I was shocked that you'd drawn it yourself. Since then, the drawings keep coming and keep getting better. I'm so glad you were blessed with such talent!
--On March 29th you recited the beginning of the Pledge of Allegiance to me. I couldn't believe my ears. Turns out, Jaden started teaching it to you (she LOVES to teach you things that she's learning or doing at school) and when I wanted to teach you the rest of the Pledge you wouldn't let me saying, "Only JADEN can teach me this!"
--You want to be just like your big sister in every way and since she reads to Mommy almost every day, you want to do the same. You memorize books (like The Very Hungry Caterpillar) and you also summarize books for me. You pause and act like you're stumbling over some "harder" words just like you hear Jaden do when she reads. It's precious. I guess we'll have to start really teaching you to sound out your words since you're so interested!
--You've mastered your letters AND sounds that each makes thanks to the Letter Factory video, recommended to us by my friend Melissa and for which we are very thankful :)
--You still take naps, willingly, and even at your own suggestion, about 2 days a week. We're in the tough stage of you getting cranky some days and needing a nap, but then dealing with you not being able to get to sleep at night after having one. I'm pretty sure you'll nap some throughout the summer with all of the fun and tiring activities we have planned, most of which involve swimming. We'll hopefully be done though by fall so that getting to bed isn't too difficult.
--You talk a lot about three of the boys in your class at school (oh no! boy crazy already!)--Marko, Johnny and James. I laugh because you talk about Marko and Johnny as fun friends, while James is who you're "going to marry." Of course you talk about the calmest, most reserved one as your future husband, but still love to be around the two "lifes of the party"--reminds me of my younger self!
--Your favorite Disney Princess has been Ariel for awhile now and you wear Ariel PJs every night, sleep with an Ariel stuffed animal and play with mermaid Barbie dolls every single day. You also love My Little Ponies and Polly Pockets.
--You definitely fit the "middle child" mold and are a major people pleaser. While sometimes I like this, because it means you go with the flow pretty well, other times I worry that you don't go against the grain enough. No matter what, you're perfect in my eyes, but I just don't want you to think you ever have to follow along to please someone, especially later when peer pressure and other things come into play.
--You're still very tall for your age and already have been wearing size 5 dresses for that reason. You weighed in at 39 lbs. at a recent doctor appointment.
--You're the pickiest eater in the family, but you're starting to try (and like!) more foods. You tried pizza last week and said you liked it for the first time ever. Your favorite foods are pb & j sandwiches and frozen grapes. You also love chips of any kind, any fruit and milk to drink. On a recent trip to the grocery store, you chose orange juice as your "treat."
--You just had your first dance "recital" and are finishing up your 3rd year at The Little Gym. You love both dance and gymnastics! You mastered landing on your feet after a cartwheel last week; we are so proud of your tremendous effort and hard work.
--You got to pick out your first dress and shirt from Justice and you were in heaven. You love the hand-me-downs you get to wear from Jaden, but you also love the special treat of picking out something brand new for yourself. This was the second time I've taken you to pick out your own clothes and you did great choosing cute things.
--You love both of your sisters more than words could begin to express. You have the best of both worlds--getting to be little sister to Jaden who you look up to and want to be just like and getting to be big sister to Bristol who you mother and care for tenderly.
--Recently you've gotten a little wild streak. You get silly and crazy more than you used to and seem to have a lot of energy. We'll be working on making sure you get all of the sillies out at the pool or the playground this summer!!
--You've become quite impatient over the past month or so. You ask "are we there yet?" in the car, even if we're just driving 5 minutes from home to school and you always want to know "how much longer" we're going to be doing something, etc.
Overall, you're the best little 4-year-old we know and Daddy and I are so proud of you. We cannot believe you just finished your first year of preschool and that you'll be five in 4 short months. Keep up the great listening and the help you provide us around the house, and continue to be the best sister and friend you know how to be to Jaden and Bristol. You are such a special little sweetheart to us and we love you to the moon and back more than 1,000 times!
Before school, Sienna made little bags of s'more ingredients for her classmates:
When we got to her school, we listened to some opening comments about the year and Sienna's class sang their good-morning song.
Sienna, however, was doing this during the song:
I'm not sure why she didn't want to go up and sing, but I was sad. She'd had a great morning up to that point, but I just think she got nervous about all of the parents and extra kids present today.
After the song, the 4s class did a little performance of Eric Carle's Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See. Then we set out to enjoy the carnival activities that Sienna's teacher had planned and set up for the children.
Here is Sienna with her teacher. We are sad to hear that she is going to leave our school for a full-time position at an elite private academy in the area, but we are so excited for her new adventure. To thank her for the great year and to bid her farewell, Sienna gave her a "summer care package"--beach towel, magazine, gummy bears, sun screen and gift certificates to our local ice cream shop.
Our first stop at the "carnival" was face painting. Sienna got the cutest little ice cream cone painted on her cheek!
Then Sienna and her classmates
Bristol hung out in her stroller and munched on cheerios while her sister ran around. Bristol's at the age now where if I don't keep her contained in some sort of seat, she exhausts me in a matter of 15 minutes by finding the most dangerous spot to play or most dangerous thing to do (like play on stairs, for instance) and fights me kicking and screaming if I dare suggest we do something else. So I keep her contained while we're out if there are too many things for her to get into, and when we're home or in baby-safe places she can run around and explore all she wants!
Thankfully, Bristol didn't mind being in her stroller and in fact had a lot of fun watching the big kids play!
Next, it was off to the courtyard adjacent to Sienna's classroom for some chalk painting! We also took group photos in the courtyard which turned out adorably, but I don't want to share other children's faces without parents' permission--sorry!!
Once we'd done all of the carnival activities we went into the music and movement room where Kindermusik was doing a program just for our kids. Bristol and Sienna loved the rain sticks!
There was a picnic after the Kindermusik program, but we had three different year-end events today and missed out on lunch with Sienna's school friends in order to squeeze in one of the other events for a short while.
I cannot believe this school year is ending, and that Sienna is just one year away from kindergarten! She has grown up so much over this past year and in the past few months has learned and developed so quickly. We are amazed at how intelligent she is, as well as how kind and sociable she is with her friends and sisters.
I've been wanting to post on some things that make Sienna who she is at this age, so I thought I'd include them here today. Sienna, at 4 1/2:
--You are SO artistic. Your abilities far out-do my own and I'm more than 7 times your age! A few months ago you brought home your first very realistic drawing from school, of your friend James and you on a roller coaster, and I was shocked that you'd drawn it yourself. Since then, the drawings keep coming and keep getting better. I'm so glad you were blessed with such talent!
--On March 29th you recited the beginning of the Pledge of Allegiance to me. I couldn't believe my ears. Turns out, Jaden started teaching it to you (she LOVES to teach you things that she's learning or doing at school) and when I wanted to teach you the rest of the Pledge you wouldn't let me saying, "Only JADEN can teach me this!"
--You want to be just like your big sister in every way and since she reads to Mommy almost every day, you want to do the same. You memorize books (like The Very Hungry Caterpillar) and you also summarize books for me. You pause and act like you're stumbling over some "harder" words just like you hear Jaden do when she reads. It's precious. I guess we'll have to start really teaching you to sound out your words since you're so interested!
--You've mastered your letters AND sounds that each makes thanks to the Letter Factory video, recommended to us by my friend Melissa and for which we are very thankful :)
--You still take naps, willingly, and even at your own suggestion, about 2 days a week. We're in the tough stage of you getting cranky some days and needing a nap, but then dealing with you not being able to get to sleep at night after having one. I'm pretty sure you'll nap some throughout the summer with all of the fun and tiring activities we have planned, most of which involve swimming. We'll hopefully be done though by fall so that getting to bed isn't too difficult.
--You talk a lot about three of the boys in your class at school (oh no! boy crazy already!)--Marko, Johnny and James. I laugh because you talk about Marko and Johnny as fun friends, while James is who you're "going to marry." Of course you talk about the calmest, most reserved one as your future husband, but still love to be around the two "lifes of the party"--reminds me of my younger self!
--Your favorite Disney Princess has been Ariel for awhile now and you wear Ariel PJs every night, sleep with an Ariel stuffed animal and play with mermaid Barbie dolls every single day. You also love My Little Ponies and Polly Pockets.
--You definitely fit the "middle child" mold and are a major people pleaser. While sometimes I like this, because it means you go with the flow pretty well, other times I worry that you don't go against the grain enough. No matter what, you're perfect in my eyes, but I just don't want you to think you ever have to follow along to please someone, especially later when peer pressure and other things come into play.
--You're still very tall for your age and already have been wearing size 5 dresses for that reason. You weighed in at 39 lbs. at a recent doctor appointment.
--You're the pickiest eater in the family, but you're starting to try (and like!) more foods. You tried pizza last week and said you liked it for the first time ever. Your favorite foods are pb & j sandwiches and frozen grapes. You also love chips of any kind, any fruit and milk to drink. On a recent trip to the grocery store, you chose orange juice as your "treat."
--You just had your first dance "recital" and are finishing up your 3rd year at The Little Gym. You love both dance and gymnastics! You mastered landing on your feet after a cartwheel last week; we are so proud of your tremendous effort and hard work.
--You got to pick out your first dress and shirt from Justice and you were in heaven. You love the hand-me-downs you get to wear from Jaden, but you also love the special treat of picking out something brand new for yourself. This was the second time I've taken you to pick out your own clothes and you did great choosing cute things.
--You love both of your sisters more than words could begin to express. You have the best of both worlds--getting to be little sister to Jaden who you look up to and want to be just like and getting to be big sister to Bristol who you mother and care for tenderly.
--Recently you've gotten a little wild streak. You get silly and crazy more than you used to and seem to have a lot of energy. We'll be working on making sure you get all of the sillies out at the pool or the playground this summer!!
--You've become quite impatient over the past month or so. You ask "are we there yet?" in the car, even if we're just driving 5 minutes from home to school and you always want to know "how much longer" we're going to be doing something, etc.
Overall, you're the best little 4-year-old we know and Daddy and I are so proud of you. We cannot believe you just finished your first year of preschool and that you'll be five in 4 short months. Keep up the great listening and the help you provide us around the house, and continue to be the best sister and friend you know how to be to Jaden and Bristol. You are such a special little sweetheart to us and we love you to the moon and back more than 1,000 times!
Sienna in September on the day school started Sienna today on her last day of school this year















Comments