Flashback Friday
Today I was searching back through my blog posts and found a few that I had either never finished or left unpublished for some reason. So I thought I would share this one today, even though Christmas was about 7 weeks ago!
When I was a little girl, my grandma always put up a beautifully decorated Christmas tree, complete with hundreds of ornaments that we grandkids were advised not to touch since they were breakable / special / etc. There was always one special ornament though that I was allowed to find and touch as much as I wanted. It was this little wooden carousel:
Each Christmas I would rush to Grandma's tree to find my special ornament, and once I spotted it, I would touch the little button underneath which would make it play "It's A Small World." Over and over I would play the song. I looked forward to this each year and have vivid memories of Grandma always making sure my ornament was within my reach and encouraging me to go and find it on the tree.
When I was around 16, Grandma gave me this ornament to have for my own Christmas tree. A few years had gone by since the days of me hunting it down on her tree each Christmas, yet it meant so much that she thought to give it to me. I kept it packed away with some other childhood ornaments until I got married and started putting up our family tree.
Now, one of the horses on the carousel has lost it's head, and the painted wood is a little scratched in a few places. But still each Christmas it hangs on our tree, and still it plays "It's A Small World" each time the button underneath is pressed. I hang it a little higher than my Grandma once did and my girls know it's a special ornament to Mommy and that they should be really careful with it. The ornament itself may look like a piece of old junk to anyone else, but the wonderful holiday memories I associate with this musical carousel make it priceless to me.
Thank you Grandma Coupland for the beautiful ornament, and more importantly, for the beautiful memories :)
When I was a little girl, my grandma always put up a beautifully decorated Christmas tree, complete with hundreds of ornaments that we grandkids were advised not to touch since they were breakable / special / etc. There was always one special ornament though that I was allowed to find and touch as much as I wanted. It was this little wooden carousel:
Each Christmas I would rush to Grandma's tree to find my special ornament, and once I spotted it, I would touch the little button underneath which would make it play "It's A Small World." Over and over I would play the song. I looked forward to this each year and have vivid memories of Grandma always making sure my ornament was within my reach and encouraging me to go and find it on the tree.
When I was around 16, Grandma gave me this ornament to have for my own Christmas tree. A few years had gone by since the days of me hunting it down on her tree each Christmas, yet it meant so much that she thought to give it to me. I kept it packed away with some other childhood ornaments until I got married and started putting up our family tree.
Now, one of the horses on the carousel has lost it's head, and the painted wood is a little scratched in a few places. But still each Christmas it hangs on our tree, and still it plays "It's A Small World" each time the button underneath is pressed. I hang it a little higher than my Grandma once did and my girls know it's a special ornament to Mommy and that they should be really careful with it. The ornament itself may look like a piece of old junk to anyone else, but the wonderful holiday memories I associate with this musical carousel make it priceless to me.
Thank you Grandma Coupland for the beautiful ornament, and more importantly, for the beautiful memories :)





Comments
So glad you are back! I was so sad when you went private and was thrilled today to see your post! I'm a huge follower of your blog & I love getting sneak peaks at your adorable family. :)
But I promise I'm not a creepy, blog stalker like the above paragraph might sound! Ha!