Our Western Caribbean Cruise days 4-5
I'm sorry it's taken me all week to get back to updating you on the second part of our cruise! I've been spending my time reading and playing with my kids, plus had a lot of time planned out and about so I couldn't blog. Here goes part 2 though...
On the morning of April 28th we awoke to blue skies and gorgeous blue water all around, along with the steamiest temperatures imaginable! We docked in Isla Roatan, Honduras and though we didn't know it until much later, we were about to experience their hottest day of the year (we literally were told this!).
As we walked off of the ship we immediately had to navigate through some shops at the end of which was a canopy tour / ropes course. We had been talking about wanting to do one in Honduras, but I was a little nervous. We decided to go on an excursion to a beach called Tabyana and then get back in time to go ziplining. I needed a little more time to build up my courage :)

Tabyana Beach was pretty nice even on this hazy day. By the time we got into the van to drive to the beach we were practically soaked in sweat, so even though I'm not a big fan of salt water, it didn't take much to get me to take a dip! Scott rented snorkeling equipment and swam around a bit looking at coral and fish while I read and tried out the signature drink of Tabyana Beach--the Tabyana Mama. Just before we left to head back near the port we had lunch--burgers and fresh fruit.
Back near the port we purchased our ziplining tickets and got suited up. We were quite a sight to see with all of our gear!


The first few lines were short, for which I was thankful, so by the time we got to some longer, higher lines where we couldn't see the ground I felt very comfortable and was having a lot of fun!

I would go ziplining again in a heartbeat now! I definitely recommend a canopy tour :)
I would also recommend drinking A LOT more water than we did that day. We were so parched by the time we got back to the ship that we immediately found an open bar and ordered multiple glasses of ice water! After chugging our way back to hydration we got ready for dinner.
We didn't do anything exciting that day after dinner--we were pretty much exhausted from our eventful excursions and went back to the room, read up on the next day's happenings in our daily newsletter and then went to sleep. We wanted to be sure to be rested up for our day in Belize where we had a snorkeling excursion planned!
The next morning we were very sad to see lightening and hear thunder when we awoke. This didn't stop the Belizeans though from going forth with tour planned snorkeling trip! We were a little nervous as we boarded a boat and headed to Goff's Caye, but thankfully once we arrived there the storms had ceased.
Though a little gloomy on the football field-sized island, I have to admit it was a nice time.
I was a little nervous about walking on the hand-built pier...
because my short feet could almost have fallen through some of the widely spaced boards!!
We geared up and snorkeled in a big group for awhile where we saw a stingray, squid and many fish among the beautiful coral reef. Friends we made at our dinner table, Peter and Natalie, joined us on this excursion so once the guided snorkeling concluded, Peter and Scott continued to snorkel on their own for awhile. I was cold and got out to just watch for awhile and had the opportunity to look at a 4-armed starfish that the crew who led the snorkeling found!
Isn't that the craziest thing? It was as if this starfish never had five arms! Even the guys who snorkel daily for their living were intrigued by this cool creature.
We got back to our ship, showered and ate lunch in record time before heading to the mainland with Peter and Natalie to see what it was like. I kept saying that we could never claim we'd been to Belize if we didn't step foot on the mainland! I'm so glad we went too because it was quite entertaining to see what the shops had for sale.

My favorite store was this one that had shelves full of junk, although the pharmacy selling a variety of crazy drugs for very cheap prices was a close second. At the junk store I found the perfect Belize souvenir:
What is it, you ask? Only the coolest key chain ever! It's a knock off of a Lexus key chain that has a sloppy gold "Belize" emblem stamped on it and it doubles as nail clippers! Who wouldn't want to sport a cheesy, ridiculous key chain like this on their ring? I obviously didn't want to very badly since I didn't actually buy it. I didn't need to; this silly photo was all the proof I needed that the Belizean folks truly do know what American tourists are looking for! ha!
That night was our second and final formal night on the cruise. We got all spiffed up...
and then hung out with our dinner table mates after our meal for a short comedy show. It was a great way to end our adventurous day!

Only a few days remained on our trip at that point...and I'll share some fun details from those soon :)
Have a good night everyone!
On the morning of April 28th we awoke to blue skies and gorgeous blue water all around, along with the steamiest temperatures imaginable! We docked in Isla Roatan, Honduras and though we didn't know it until much later, we were about to experience their hottest day of the year (we literally were told this!).
As we walked off of the ship we immediately had to navigate through some shops at the end of which was a canopy tour / ropes course. We had been talking about wanting to do one in Honduras, but I was a little nervous. We decided to go on an excursion to a beach called Tabyana and then get back in time to go ziplining. I needed a little more time to build up my courage :)

Tabyana Beach was pretty nice even on this hazy day. By the time we got into the van to drive to the beach we were practically soaked in sweat, so even though I'm not a big fan of salt water, it didn't take much to get me to take a dip! Scott rented snorkeling equipment and swam around a bit looking at coral and fish while I read and tried out the signature drink of Tabyana Beach--the Tabyana Mama. Just before we left to head back near the port we had lunch--burgers and fresh fruit.
Back near the port we purchased our ziplining tickets and got suited up. We were quite a sight to see with all of our gear!

The first few lines were short, for which I was thankful, so by the time we got to some longer, higher lines where we couldn't see the ground I felt very comfortable and was having a lot of fun!
I would go ziplining again in a heartbeat now! I definitely recommend a canopy tour :)I would also recommend drinking A LOT more water than we did that day. We were so parched by the time we got back to the ship that we immediately found an open bar and ordered multiple glasses of ice water! After chugging our way back to hydration we got ready for dinner.
We didn't do anything exciting that day after dinner--we were pretty much exhausted from our eventful excursions and went back to the room, read up on the next day's happenings in our daily newsletter and then went to sleep. We wanted to be sure to be rested up for our day in Belize where we had a snorkeling excursion planned!
The next morning we were very sad to see lightening and hear thunder when we awoke. This didn't stop the Belizeans though from going forth with tour planned snorkeling trip! We were a little nervous as we boarded a boat and headed to Goff's Caye, but thankfully once we arrived there the storms had ceased.
Though a little gloomy on the football field-sized island, I have to admit it was a nice time.
I was a little nervous about walking on the hand-built pier...
because my short feet could almost have fallen through some of the widely spaced boards!!
We geared up and snorkeled in a big group for awhile where we saw a stingray, squid and many fish among the beautiful coral reef. Friends we made at our dinner table, Peter and Natalie, joined us on this excursion so once the guided snorkeling concluded, Peter and Scott continued to snorkel on their own for awhile. I was cold and got out to just watch for awhile and had the opportunity to look at a 4-armed starfish that the crew who led the snorkeling found!
Isn't that the craziest thing? It was as if this starfish never had five arms! Even the guys who snorkel daily for their living were intrigued by this cool creature.We got back to our ship, showered and ate lunch in record time before heading to the mainland with Peter and Natalie to see what it was like. I kept saying that we could never claim we'd been to Belize if we didn't step foot on the mainland! I'm so glad we went too because it was quite entertaining to see what the shops had for sale.

My favorite store was this one that had shelves full of junk, although the pharmacy selling a variety of crazy drugs for very cheap prices was a close second. At the junk store I found the perfect Belize souvenir:
What is it, you ask? Only the coolest key chain ever! It's a knock off of a Lexus key chain that has a sloppy gold "Belize" emblem stamped on it and it doubles as nail clippers! Who wouldn't want to sport a cheesy, ridiculous key chain like this on their ring? I obviously didn't want to very badly since I didn't actually buy it. I didn't need to; this silly photo was all the proof I needed that the Belizean folks truly do know what American tourists are looking for! ha!That night was our second and final formal night on the cruise. We got all spiffed up...
and then hung out with our dinner table mates after our meal for a short comedy show. It was a great way to end our adventurous day!
Only a few days remained on our trip at that point...and I'll share some fun details from those soon :)
Have a good night everyone!


Comments