I don't wanna grow up

When I was a young girl and would see the commercials for Toys R Us, I felt like they were made just for me.  The catchy advertising tune of "I don't wanna grow up..." verbalized exactly how I felt.  I never wanted to grow up.

At that time I truly felt that I wanted to play with my dolls and kitchen play set and backyard fort / playground forever.  It's no surprise that I was at least 13 before I stopped enjoying playing house and pretending to be mama to my many baby dolls.

Moments after I reached my 29th birthday late Friday night (or I guess early Saturday morning if you want to be truly correct) tears sprung to my eyes as I realized I really am growing up.  And I'm again at a phase of life where I don't want to age another year.

I am so blessed where I'm at right now.  I have three of the most lovely daughters a girl could ever ask for and I'm enjoying the phases each of them are in tremendously.  Growing older not only means that I'm soon going to enter my 30s, but also that my daughters will be getting bigger, learning more about this crazy world in which we live and entering the elementary school years where they surely won't want to listen to my ipod full of nursery rhymes and mickey mouse clubhouse tunes.

If I could choose a moment to stop time completely, I would choose now.  Some days are tough, but overall I'm loving where we're at and what we're up to.

I have loved being a young mom and even though I became a mom earlier than I ever dreamed I would, it has all been the most perfect timing.  I have loved being the youngest in many circles, often looking up to other moms I've befriended for their mothering skills, their attitudes and reflections on life, the way they run their homes and so much more.  As I get older I know I may not be the "young one" anymore and I'd be lying if I tried to say that doesn't make me a teeny bit sad.

As much as I'd love to make time stand still, I cannot of course so I will choose to enjoy what this year and the future year holds.  I am so blessed...and no matter what, at heart I'll always be a "Toys R Us kid!"

Comments

Jillian said…
This was an amazing post!!!So true!!I am loving where I am at right now and I don't want my girls or I to grow up!! But since it will happen I am going to enjoy each stage as much as possible!
Life Happens said…
The other day I 'realized' I was 33 and it surprised me. LOL. I thought I was only 31, maybe 32.

Your girls will keep you (looking) young and feeling great!

Popular Posts