12 days at the lake--part 2 of 2
I'm really slacking this summer in the blogging department. I hope you all will forgive me :) I am trying to figure out how I can make blogging a priority, but family, cleaning, laundry, playdates, girlfriends, and the neverending to-do list keep getting in my way. For now, let me finish up telling you about our 12 blissful days at the lake house!
The second day my sister Mandy was with us at the lake (Thursday) we spent the entire day at the pool--and I mean ENTIRE day. On our summer "to do" list (more about that sometime before the end of summer!) Jaden had requested that we spend a WHOLE day at the pool, so we fulfilled that on July 7th.
We had such a long day at the pool in fact that a few hours after I served a pool-side lunch it was Jaden who requested that we head on inside. I think we spent a total of 5 straight hours soaking in the water and sun that day. Thankfully we could let Bristol nap in the house (right next to the pool), lock the doors and keep the monitor at the pool. It was a wonderful day.
That night I had one of the college-age girls who spends her summers in her parents' condo in the same lakeside development as the house come down to watch the girls while my sister and I went 4 miles down the road to Cedar Point for the night. If you don't know what Cedar Point is, you should google it, and then plan a trip there at some point in your life. It is the BEST amusement park EVER and has so many fabulous roller coasters and thrilling rides. It was fun to be with my little sis and we rode until the rides closed down. Such fun!
The next day we said goodbye to Mandy and had another pool day. I also took a nice long evening walk around the development while Jaden and Sienna rode their bikes. After riding a few miles around the circle Scott arrived for the weekend. Boy were we all excited to see him! We were also thrilled a few hours later when my father-in-law came up as well.
Saturday morning another one of my sisters, Kimberly, joined us at the lakehouse and my father-in-law took us all out for a ride on his boat. We docked for lunch at a cute cafe within walking distance and I enjoyed capturing a few photos of my girls...
On the way back to the house I laughed a little to myself as my sister read her favorite childhood stories to my girls, who also enjoy the same stories. Have you heard of Amelia Bedelia? Well she's quite the character, and Jaden and Sienna get a real kick out of her funny antics!
I took this beautiful photo of the lake house as we rounded the bed towards the dock. The house is facing front towards the right half of the photo and the buildings just behind and to the left of the light house are condos. My father-in-law's house is the only free-standing home in the development and looking out of the windows you can see water on three sides.
We sure feel fortunate to have such a retreat to go to! We are blessed to be able to go to the house throughout the summer and to be able to go out on many boat, jetski and kayak rides while we're there.
Saturday night after we put the kids to bed (thankfully they were worn out from the fun boat ride and some swimming!), my sister went to work giving me a new 'do. Here is before:
And after:
The "after" photo is a little deceiving; I actually cut off 12.5 inches of hair! 11.5 inches are on their way to Locks for Love. It's my third time donating and not only am I happy to give the hair to someone who needs it, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new style!
The next morning, Sunday, my sister met up with her boyfriend to go to Cedar Point for the day and my father-in-law took our family for another ride on his boat. We anchored off a beach near the house and thought that Jaden and Sienna would swim a bit, but they weren't too interested. Bristol enjoyed "chillaxin" though while we were anchored!
See the development behind Jaden's head?
Once we gave up on swimming in the lake we headed over to a new restaurant where we could order from the boat and eat while docked. Scott, his dad and the big girls ended up getting off of the boat, but I enjoyed a cool lemonade and my meal on the boat's table while Bristol napped on the seat next to me. We finished up the day with some relaxing and swimming in the pool. Then Scott had to head home to get ready for the work week.
Monday the 11th I was a little worn out and decided we would spend an hour in the pool in the morning, then head to the movies to see Cars II. Now one might think I'm nuts for taking three kids to the movies alone, but actually it worked out great!
Bristol was in awe of the big screen during the short time she was awake in the theater and Jaden and Sienna were quiet as they enjoyed sharing a big bag of popcorn and juice boxes. It all was perfect!
We left the movies as it was pouring down rain (didn't see that in the weather forecast, but it ended up being perfect that it rained on our movie day!) and stopped by Target to look around before heading home to greet our final guests--my sister Brooke and her sons Parker and Preston.
Brooke, Parker and Preston stayed with us Monday evening through Wednesday at lunchtime and provided many laughs and good times as we concluded our trip. We took the kids to the local dairy for ice cream made in house on Monday night, swam all day Tuesday and then finished off the night with Frostys before bed. Wednesday we swam some more, packed up and had a quick lunch before heading home.
The boys and girls play so well with one another and really enjoyed splashing around in the pool. The boys even asked me to do their hair Tuesday morning so I was glad to give them ponytails....haha
Bristol rolled over for the first time that Monday and spent a lot of time while her cousins were there discovering her feet as she laid on a few beach towels in the shade by the pool. She also dipped her toes into the pool water a few more times and watched in awe as my sister Brooke threw the kids in the water. Everyone was content, as always on this trip.
I do have to note, because I know later we'll laugh about this, that spending these two days with my sister and her boys gave me one more reason I was meant to be a Mama to girls--apparently boys throw EVERYTHING. My nephew Preston, who just turned 3 in April, was having the time of his life throwing anything he could find off of the house's balcony. I was forever below the railing looking for toys, bubble wands, half-finished sandwiches and juice boxes. I couldn't believe how quickly that boy started throwing things when we weren't looking! Whew--talk about exhausting always going downstairs and outside to pick up after him.
All in all, our 12 days at the lake house could not have been better. It was the best part of my summer and I think my girls would agree it was the highlight of their summer as well. Having such easy access to the pool, a few fun boat rides, many friends and our family there with us, evening bike rides around the circle and zero stress was just what we all needed. I hope that next year my father-in-law will again allow us to stay there for an extended period of time. We are all so grateful that he welcomed us there this time!
The second day my sister Mandy was with us at the lake (Thursday) we spent the entire day at the pool--and I mean ENTIRE day. On our summer "to do" list (more about that sometime before the end of summer!) Jaden had requested that we spend a WHOLE day at the pool, so we fulfilled that on July 7th.
We had such a long day at the pool in fact that a few hours after I served a pool-side lunch it was Jaden who requested that we head on inside. I think we spent a total of 5 straight hours soaking in the water and sun that day. Thankfully we could let Bristol nap in the house (right next to the pool), lock the doors and keep the monitor at the pool. It was a wonderful day.
That night I had one of the college-age girls who spends her summers in her parents' condo in the same lakeside development as the house come down to watch the girls while my sister and I went 4 miles down the road to Cedar Point for the night. If you don't know what Cedar Point is, you should google it, and then plan a trip there at some point in your life. It is the BEST amusement park EVER and has so many fabulous roller coasters and thrilling rides. It was fun to be with my little sis and we rode until the rides closed down. Such fun!
The next day we said goodbye to Mandy and had another pool day. I also took a nice long evening walk around the development while Jaden and Sienna rode their bikes. After riding a few miles around the circle Scott arrived for the weekend. Boy were we all excited to see him! We were also thrilled a few hours later when my father-in-law came up as well.
Saturday morning another one of my sisters, Kimberly, joined us at the lakehouse and my father-in-law took us all out for a ride on his boat. We docked for lunch at a cute cafe within walking distance and I enjoyed capturing a few photos of my girls...
On the way back to the house I laughed a little to myself as my sister read her favorite childhood stories to my girls, who also enjoy the same stories. Have you heard of Amelia Bedelia? Well she's quite the character, and Jaden and Sienna get a real kick out of her funny antics!
I took this beautiful photo of the lake house as we rounded the bed towards the dock. The house is facing front towards the right half of the photo and the buildings just behind and to the left of the light house are condos. My father-in-law's house is the only free-standing home in the development and looking out of the windows you can see water on three sides.
We sure feel fortunate to have such a retreat to go to! We are blessed to be able to go to the house throughout the summer and to be able to go out on many boat, jetski and kayak rides while we're there.
Saturday night after we put the kids to bed (thankfully they were worn out from the fun boat ride and some swimming!), my sister went to work giving me a new 'do. Here is before:
And after:
The "after" photo is a little deceiving; I actually cut off 12.5 inches of hair! 11.5 inches are on their way to Locks for Love. It's my third time donating and not only am I happy to give the hair to someone who needs it, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new style!
The next morning, Sunday, my sister met up with her boyfriend to go to Cedar Point for the day and my father-in-law took our family for another ride on his boat. We anchored off a beach near the house and thought that Jaden and Sienna would swim a bit, but they weren't too interested. Bristol enjoyed "chillaxin" though while we were anchored!
See the development behind Jaden's head?
Once we gave up on swimming in the lake we headed over to a new restaurant where we could order from the boat and eat while docked. Scott, his dad and the big girls ended up getting off of the boat, but I enjoyed a cool lemonade and my meal on the boat's table while Bristol napped on the seat next to me. We finished up the day with some relaxing and swimming in the pool. Then Scott had to head home to get ready for the work week.
Monday the 11th I was a little worn out and decided we would spend an hour in the pool in the morning, then head to the movies to see Cars II. Now one might think I'm nuts for taking three kids to the movies alone, but actually it worked out great!
Bristol was in awe of the big screen during the short time she was awake in the theater and Jaden and Sienna were quiet as they enjoyed sharing a big bag of popcorn and juice boxes. It all was perfect!
We left the movies as it was pouring down rain (didn't see that in the weather forecast, but it ended up being perfect that it rained on our movie day!) and stopped by Target to look around before heading home to greet our final guests--my sister Brooke and her sons Parker and Preston.
Brooke, Parker and Preston stayed with us Monday evening through Wednesday at lunchtime and provided many laughs and good times as we concluded our trip. We took the kids to the local dairy for ice cream made in house on Monday night, swam all day Tuesday and then finished off the night with Frostys before bed. Wednesday we swam some more, packed up and had a quick lunch before heading home.
The boys and girls play so well with one another and really enjoyed splashing around in the pool. The boys even asked me to do their hair Tuesday morning so I was glad to give them ponytails....haha
Bristol rolled over for the first time that Monday and spent a lot of time while her cousins were there discovering her feet as she laid on a few beach towels in the shade by the pool. She also dipped her toes into the pool water a few more times and watched in awe as my sister Brooke threw the kids in the water. Everyone was content, as always on this trip.
I do have to note, because I know later we'll laugh about this, that spending these two days with my sister and her boys gave me one more reason I was meant to be a Mama to girls--apparently boys throw EVERYTHING. My nephew Preston, who just turned 3 in April, was having the time of his life throwing anything he could find off of the house's balcony. I was forever below the railing looking for toys, bubble wands, half-finished sandwiches and juice boxes. I couldn't believe how quickly that boy started throwing things when we weren't looking! Whew--talk about exhausting always going downstairs and outside to pick up after him.
All in all, our 12 days at the lake house could not have been better. It was the best part of my summer and I think my girls would agree it was the highlight of their summer as well. Having such easy access to the pool, a few fun boat rides, many friends and our family there with us, evening bike rides around the circle and zero stress was just what we all needed. I hope that next year my father-in-law will again allow us to stay there for an extended period of time. We are all so grateful that he welcomed us there this time!



























Comments