Flashback Friday--Christmas Edition
I recently came across these photos and could resist sharing this great Christmas memory today as we make our final preparations for our Christmas Eve party and for tomorrow's big day of family and fun.
As many of you already know, my dad passed away almost 12 years ago. I can remember special details from every single Christmas I spent with him from the ways he would surprise me to the special family dinners, along with the many thoughtful gifts he gave to me. When I was two years old, my parents divorced and my mom and I moved to Columbus. When I was four, my mom was hosting a Christmas party at her home and asked my dad to come to the door as Santa Claus to surprise all of us children there.
I vaguely recall being enthralled by Santa showing up and giving us gifts. He was the jolliest Santa and the snuggliest too. I sat on his lap, posed for a few photos and then opened the gifts he delivered. My mom had told me that my dad would be picking me up at the end of the party to go back to his house for a visit, so I'm sure all the while I was thinking about how I'd get to tell my Daddy that Santa had visited and what he'd brought to me.
Well, when my dad arrived, I showed him my Teddy Ruxpin and my mini trampoline, and then we loaded up in his car to drive to his house. I vividly recall glancing down at his shoes as he got into the car and then proudly proclaiming, "GUESS WHAT DADDY!! You and Santa Claus have the exact same SHOES!" I even remember thinking that my daddy must be extra, extra special to have the very same shoes as Mr. Claus.
As years passed and my belief in the jolly ol' elf faded, my dad would share that story each Christmas and I would smile as I too recalled the details. My dad really was extra, extra special and this holiday, like every one in the past, he is very missed.
Dad, I hope you're having the merriest Christmas Eve as you and everyone in Heaven prepare to celebrate Jesus' birthday tomorrow. Thank you for all of the holiday memories we made while you were here on earth, that I may look back fondly on the 17 Christmases that we were able to spend together. I miss you bunches and love you lots. Merry Christmas Daddy!
As many of you already know, my dad passed away almost 12 years ago. I can remember special details from every single Christmas I spent with him from the ways he would surprise me to the special family dinners, along with the many thoughtful gifts he gave to me. When I was two years old, my parents divorced and my mom and I moved to Columbus. When I was four, my mom was hosting a Christmas party at her home and asked my dad to come to the door as Santa Claus to surprise all of us children there.
Dad, I hope you're having the merriest Christmas Eve as you and everyone in Heaven prepare to celebrate Jesus' birthday tomorrow. Thank you for all of the holiday memories we made while you were here on earth, that I may look back fondly on the 17 Christmases that we were able to spend together. I miss you bunches and love you lots. Merry Christmas Daddy!


Comments
Holidays are always hard when we've lost someone dear to us.