The Help
This morning I finally finished a book I began reading several weeks ago, The Help by first-time novelist Kathryn Stockett. While the book was certainly a page-turner for me, it took a few weeks for me to finish because I'd been sick in the middle of reading it and couldn't keep my eyes open when I tried to read! The Help is about the lives of African-American women who are working as housekeepers for white American women. It illustrates a variety of relationships among the black and white women ranging from friendship to harsh prejudice and mistreatment. I do not want to give away any details of the book, but I will tell you that my favorite character from the moment she was introduced was Minny, and perhaps it's because I feel sometimes that I am as feisty as she! I highly recommend reading this book, though when you do, know that I would never do what Minny did to Miss Hilly!!Next up on my book shelf: Hannah's Gift by Maria Housden. I'll be sure to tell you how I like it!
Off to make Valentines with Jaden for her classmates :) I'll let you know how creative we get tomorrow so stay tuned!


Comments