My Two Favorites
I'm pretty sure a lot of people think I'm nuts for one reason or another. I don't really mind it; I am who I am and I love 98% of my life, most days, nutty or not. :) A few years ago when I first heard the word "blog" and started reading my first one (our friends, the Colberts), I instantly fell in love with the concept of keeping a blog and even more in love with reading other blogs. And I'm absolutely positive that when I talk about reading others' blogs my friends and acquaintances wonder at least a teensy bit about my sanity!
The majority of those of you reading this right now who know me IRL (in real life...duh! blogger speak!) can't deny for a single second that when I've mentioned my blog-reading pastime that you haven't thought, "what? she reads about people's lives that she doesn't even know? HUH?" Yeah, I'm a mind-reader. I admit, putting it that way does make me seem a little closer to crazy than I was pre-blog-days.
The truth is, I do love reading the blogs I've stumbled upon over the years. And I have made "friends" with people I've never met. I've gotten advice on vacations we've taken through blog friends, I've learned a lot about faith, motherhood, how people live in other parts of the country, cooking, exercise and more, I've prayed for families and children going through a serious illness or facing the aftermath of a terrible tragedy and I've filed away more than a gazillion ideas for party-throwing, decorating, holiday traditions and so forth (thank God pinterest came along so that I have a better way of storing these ideas now!). Most recently, I've enjoyed connecting with my own personal community of other moms who have babies the same age as Bristol, give or take a few weeks. It's been so fun to share and compare photos and milestones with one another.
Today I wanted to share two of my favorite blogs; if you've ever thought I was a little "off" for being interested in the writings of others, trust me when I tell you that if you read these two bloggers posts for a few weeks straight, you'd be addicted to reading blogs yourself.
First, there is Kelly at http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/. Kelly's blog and others like it have all but replaced my love for tabloids like People and US Weekly back in my college days (which, maybe I should mention to those of you who think I'm nutso for reading about "people I don't know" that reading any magazine or website about celebrities is absolutely the same thing, ahem!). I rarely miss a day of Kelly. Even when, like right now, I'm over a month behind on reading some of the other blogs I enjoy, I always keep up with Kelly. She's a southern belle who has two young girls and I'm not sure which part I like more about her--the fact that she's got little girls like I do or the fact that she's blatantly honest about the ups and downs of mommyhood or the fact that she's a devoted Christian who shares her faith in ways better than I ever could. I love the glimpse she gives of her corner of the world and how even on her worst day, she has something positive and uplifting to share. Reading her blog and relating to it makes it more meaningful than any silly magazine full of celebrity drama!
My other favorite blog is http://www.foreverfoldinglaundry.com/. Keri is a California girl who has all the creativity and skills to be the next Martha Stewart. I'm seriously not kidding. The best thing about her though is that she either doesn't know how incredible she is, or she does a great job keeping herself grounded. Keri shares delicious, health-conscious recipes, crafts that she makes appear simple, but which I'm sure take her quite a bit of time and her favorite things (which always appeal to me!) interwoven with bits and pieces of family life with her husband and three children. Her writing style alone is admirable to me--she can say so much with so few words. I love what she recently shared here from a church sermon (scroll down near the end of the post). How can those words about gratitude not inspire? That's what Keri does--she shares what speaks to her heart and in turn encourages others. She's just amazing like that.
So to me, Kelly is my daily "tabloid" and Keri is my "Chicken Soup for the Soul." I love MANY other blogs, but these two just stand out a teensy bit above the rest because they motivate and reassure me every single time I read them. I've pretty much given up reading magazines of all kinds because I get so much more from blogs like these.
So if you think I'm pretty wack because I enjoy the blogging world, that's okay. But if you're interested and want to feel some encouragement from other women who share pieces of their lives with the world, give these two girls a shot. You may never look back...even if your family and friends think you're a little crazy too :)
The majority of those of you reading this right now who know me IRL (in real life...duh! blogger speak!) can't deny for a single second that when I've mentioned my blog-reading pastime that you haven't thought, "what? she reads about people's lives that she doesn't even know? HUH?" Yeah, I'm a mind-reader. I admit, putting it that way does make me seem a little closer to crazy than I was pre-blog-days.
The truth is, I do love reading the blogs I've stumbled upon over the years. And I have made "friends" with people I've never met. I've gotten advice on vacations we've taken through blog friends, I've learned a lot about faith, motherhood, how people live in other parts of the country, cooking, exercise and more, I've prayed for families and children going through a serious illness or facing the aftermath of a terrible tragedy and I've filed away more than a gazillion ideas for party-throwing, decorating, holiday traditions and so forth (thank God pinterest came along so that I have a better way of storing these ideas now!). Most recently, I've enjoyed connecting with my own personal community of other moms who have babies the same age as Bristol, give or take a few weeks. It's been so fun to share and compare photos and milestones with one another.
Today I wanted to share two of my favorite blogs; if you've ever thought I was a little "off" for being interested in the writings of others, trust me when I tell you that if you read these two bloggers posts for a few weeks straight, you'd be addicted to reading blogs yourself.
First, there is Kelly at http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/. Kelly's blog and others like it have all but replaced my love for tabloids like People and US Weekly back in my college days (which, maybe I should mention to those of you who think I'm nutso for reading about "people I don't know" that reading any magazine or website about celebrities is absolutely the same thing, ahem!). I rarely miss a day of Kelly. Even when, like right now, I'm over a month behind on reading some of the other blogs I enjoy, I always keep up with Kelly. She's a southern belle who has two young girls and I'm not sure which part I like more about her--the fact that she's got little girls like I do or the fact that she's blatantly honest about the ups and downs of mommyhood or the fact that she's a devoted Christian who shares her faith in ways better than I ever could. I love the glimpse she gives of her corner of the world and how even on her worst day, she has something positive and uplifting to share. Reading her blog and relating to it makes it more meaningful than any silly magazine full of celebrity drama!
My other favorite blog is http://www.foreverfoldinglaundry.com/. Keri is a California girl who has all the creativity and skills to be the next Martha Stewart. I'm seriously not kidding. The best thing about her though is that she either doesn't know how incredible she is, or she does a great job keeping herself grounded. Keri shares delicious, health-conscious recipes, crafts that she makes appear simple, but which I'm sure take her quite a bit of time and her favorite things (which always appeal to me!) interwoven with bits and pieces of family life with her husband and three children. Her writing style alone is admirable to me--she can say so much with so few words. I love what she recently shared here from a church sermon (scroll down near the end of the post). How can those words about gratitude not inspire? That's what Keri does--she shares what speaks to her heart and in turn encourages others. She's just amazing like that.
So to me, Kelly is my daily "tabloid" and Keri is my "Chicken Soup for the Soul." I love MANY other blogs, but these two just stand out a teensy bit above the rest because they motivate and reassure me every single time I read them. I've pretty much given up reading magazines of all kinds because I get so much more from blogs like these.
So if you think I'm pretty wack because I enjoy the blogging world, that's okay. But if you're interested and want to feel some encouragement from other women who share pieces of their lives with the world, give these two girls a shot. You may never look back...even if your family and friends think you're a little crazy too :)


Comments
And no way are you crazy for blogging... if so, we can be roomies at the looney bin!