Lemons...
Before my accident I often struggled to get in a good workout routine long term. I would get in a good routine for about a month or month and a half and then I would travel or something would happen unexpectedly that would throw me off. I remember thinking right before the accident that I wished I had a reason that I had to work out every single day because I'm surrounded by very thin and fit family members.
What do you know--that exact scenario actually happened. Because of the brain injury that I endured I have to work out almost every single day in order to keep the progress that I make physically.
For instance it has been alluded that if I stop working out I may lose some of the physical ability that I worked very hard to gain such as with walking or jumping or whatnot.
When my therapist first told me that I needed to work out daily (in October 2014), I often posted pictures of myself working out on social media because the comments and love of so many were motivating.
There is a funny saying about nobody caring about your work out unless you fall off the treadmill, etc. But, I never fell off the treadmill or had anything funny to report, yet everyone nicely put up with my photos and encouraged me as I began the journey.
Now I do yoga,
Work out on a slide board,
Bike,
And swim
In addition to everything I can do in my home gym.
I have a game plan for each week to make sure that I get my workouts in and even when I travel I make sure that I'm not interrupting my exercise. I can honestly say that since October the fewest times I've worked out has been 4x in a week. When I feel like I'm losing steam I add something new. The fact that I can lose that which I have worked so hard to gain is pure motivation to me. In just over six months I have noticed big changes in my body from exercising. Movement is my new reality. It keeps me going. There hasn't been an excuse big enough to override my guilt over not working out just yet. I hope to keep on going, to keep on making strides, to keep motivated. I hope that exercising continues to keep me going.
What a blessing in disguise this silent "wish" turned reality has been!






















Comments