Off to Kindergarten
Our sweet Sienna is officially a kindergartner! Though she told me tonight that she is sad because she misses her time at home during the day, I think she is doing great and really enjoying her new school experiences!
Last week we had phase-in where Bristol and I accompanied Sienna to school for part of the day. She insisted on proudly wearing her new backpack which was stuffed full with many new school supplies, and off we went!
At phase-in we did activities to explore Sienna's new classroom, filled out some paperwork and Sienna was assessed for reading comprehension. Sienna most enjoyed decorating her nametag which is no surprise since she loves to do anything involving creativity and art (just like her mama!)! We also got to talk with Sienna's teacher a little bit and through that conversation I became very excited for the upcoming year. I know the teacher is just wonderful for our girl. Meanwhile, Sienna was very comfortable in her classroom and couldn't wait to get kindergarten started!
The morning of Sienna's first day of kindergarten was off to a terrific start. Everyone was ready a few minutes before we needed to get out the door and I felt like we were all well prepared for the day. As we went outside I asked Sienna to walk over to our porch so that I could take a picture and no sooner did I get those words out when she was shrieking and crying hysterically. Though I was puzzled and alarmed at first, I quickly realized as she flipped off her shoe that she'd been stung by a bee!! It started to fly out of her shoe and I whacked that thing so hard as Sienna sit on the ground crying in pain. What a way to ruin a perfectly smooth, awesome morning!!!
Sienna put on a brave face and after confirming there wasn't any stinger in her foot, and putting a bandaid over the tiny cut, she did let me take some pictures. She kept saying it hurt, but the bus was coming and I did not want her to miss out on riding to school with her big sister so I just told her she would be okay and it would stop hurting soon. I felt so bad for her though!
Just in time for the bus to pick up our girls and our neighbors, Sienna dried her tears and I think her excitement about kindergarten helped that bee sting pain to quickly dissipate. I couldn't help myself from worrying about her all morning so Bristol and I stopped by the school at her lunchtime to confirm she was alright and we were greeted with BIG SMILES. What a relief after a dramatic morning!
The girls and I will always remember how Sienna was stung by a bee on her first morning of school. They will also always remember that when they got home from school that evening, a little party was set up in their honor. I always find reasons to celebrate because they love it, and being back to school was certainly something worth honoring! So I had this table all set up for a special dinner when they got home...
After dinner we shared stories about the day over pumpkin cookies while our crowned "queens" of their respective grades opened their bags of goodies. They each got a school spirit shirt and a few books. They were thrilled and Jaden is already well on her way to finishing one of her new novels!
It is hard to believe I'm the mom to a 2nd grader and a kindergartner. I thought the day would never come that I would have two in school, and now that it's here what I would give to re-live the last 8 years all over again--truly the best 8 years of my life. Since I cannot live those precious days all over again, I'll look forward to making the next 8 just as wonderful and memorable. Let's hope the next 8 years are bee-sting-free! ;-)
Last week we had phase-in where Bristol and I accompanied Sienna to school for part of the day. She insisted on proudly wearing her new backpack which was stuffed full with many new school supplies, and off we went!
At phase-in we did activities to explore Sienna's new classroom, filled out some paperwork and Sienna was assessed for reading comprehension. Sienna most enjoyed decorating her nametag which is no surprise since she loves to do anything involving creativity and art (just like her mama!)! We also got to talk with Sienna's teacher a little bit and through that conversation I became very excited for the upcoming year. I know the teacher is just wonderful for our girl. Meanwhile, Sienna was very comfortable in her classroom and couldn't wait to get kindergarten started!
The morning of Sienna's first day of kindergarten was off to a terrific start. Everyone was ready a few minutes before we needed to get out the door and I felt like we were all well prepared for the day. As we went outside I asked Sienna to walk over to our porch so that I could take a picture and no sooner did I get those words out when she was shrieking and crying hysterically. Though I was puzzled and alarmed at first, I quickly realized as she flipped off her shoe that she'd been stung by a bee!! It started to fly out of her shoe and I whacked that thing so hard as Sienna sit on the ground crying in pain. What a way to ruin a perfectly smooth, awesome morning!!!
Sienna put on a brave face and after confirming there wasn't any stinger in her foot, and putting a bandaid over the tiny cut, she did let me take some pictures. She kept saying it hurt, but the bus was coming and I did not want her to miss out on riding to school with her big sister so I just told her she would be okay and it would stop hurting soon. I felt so bad for her though!
Just in time for the bus to pick up our girls and our neighbors, Sienna dried her tears and I think her excitement about kindergarten helped that bee sting pain to quickly dissipate. I couldn't help myself from worrying about her all morning so Bristol and I stopped by the school at her lunchtime to confirm she was alright and we were greeted with BIG SMILES. What a relief after a dramatic morning!
The girls and I will always remember how Sienna was stung by a bee on her first morning of school. They will also always remember that when they got home from school that evening, a little party was set up in their honor. I always find reasons to celebrate because they love it, and being back to school was certainly something worth honoring! So I had this table all set up for a special dinner when they got home...
After dinner we shared stories about the day over pumpkin cookies while our crowned "queens" of their respective grades opened their bags of goodies. They each got a school spirit shirt and a few books. They were thrilled and Jaden is already well on her way to finishing one of her new novels!
It is hard to believe I'm the mom to a 2nd grader and a kindergartner. I thought the day would never come that I would have two in school, and now that it's here what I would give to re-live the last 8 years all over again--truly the best 8 years of my life. Since I cannot live those precious days all over again, I'll look forward to making the next 8 just as wonderful and memorable. Let's hope the next 8 years are bee-sting-free! ;-)









Comments