Bristol--1 Month Old!

Bristol Grace, you just turned 1 month old on Wednesday May 4th! I can hardly believe a month has already gone by. I have tried to take in every single moment with you this month and it has been absolutely wonderful. You are such a sweet, special baby girl and you have been the most perfect addition to our family.

You only wore newborn diapers for about a week and have been wearing size 1 ever since. You wear newborn and 0-3 month clothes. You got weighed many times this month because you had a little trouble gaining weight, but as of 4/5/11 you now weigh 9 lbs 12 oz (75th percentile), are 22 inches long (90th percentile) and your head is 15 inches around!

Other weights this month, just so Mama doesn't forget:
4/18/11 8 lbs 4 oz
4/20/11 8 lbs 6 oz
4/26/11 8 lbs 11 oz

Needless to say, I'm quite relieved and happy that you're now gaining weight just as you should be!!

You started off breastfeeding, and just as you were getting the hang of it we had to give you bottles of expressed milk to help you gain weight. One thing led to another and ultimately we're now just giving you expressed breastmilk in bottles all the time. The details don't matter anymore, but let's just say Mama was awfully sad when we had to make this transition. I'm okay with it now and love knowing you're getting the "good stuff" even if it's through a bottle. You take 3-4 oz 7-8 times per day.

You've been smiling since you were 36 hours old. At first I thought it was just ironic that you were smiling when I talked to you and smiled at you, but a nurse told me it's not ironic at all. You smile more and more everyday. You have such a beautiful smile :) I love the way you scrunch up your nose each time you break into a pretty smile!

You started off sleeping like a real champ--you slept through the night once in the first week at home and slept another night for 6 hours! Once we started feeding you more throughout the day your appetite picked up and now you get up once between 2-4am and sometimes a second time around 5-6am. We're trying to break you of that second wake-up since it makes for such a choppy night of sleep. Last night you slept from 11 to 4, then 4:30 to 7:30 which made me one well-rested, happy Mommy!!

You were born with both of your pinky fingers looking "crooked." They are so perfectly imperfect, although they are straightening a little bit more each day. Perhaps it was somehow related to how your hands were positioned in the womb.

You are definitely a Mama's girl. Daddy jokes that when he holds you, you stare right at him and cry. I think that at this point you and I just know eachother very well and I know exactly how to keep you comfortable and calm. In fact, as I type this tonight you're lounging sweetly on my lap. I can't say I mind that you're Mommy's girl for right now because before I know it you'll be Daddy's girl just like your big sisters.

You tried out the swing for the first time at 2 weeks old and weren't too sure about it at first, but now you seem to enjoy it a bit. You don't, however, enjoy the vibration feature of your papasan chair or your bouncy seat. You cry anytime I try to turn it on.

You're calmed by the sounds of water running, the hair dryer and other "white noise." Thanks to this, I haven't missed too many showers since you arrived :)

Your Aunt Lindsey gave us a Moby Wrap before you were born and you and I both enjoy using it often. In the Moby you've helped me fold laundry, have gone on walks with big sis Sienna and have slept while I reply to emails. Once again, you just like being near your Mommy.

We can't decide who you look like. Those who have seen my baby pictures say you resemble those; Daddy thinks you look like big sister Jaden as a baby; I think you look more like Sienna as a baby; when Daddy is holding you everyone says you look just like him. As you grow we'll see who you end up favoring. One thing is for sure, you're beautiful!

You're learning to hold up your head more and more, and over the next month we'll work more on tummy time. Hopefully tummy time will help you to tire out more and sleep longer stretches at night :)

You started off hating 90% of bathtime, but you loved getting your hair washed from day 1. The nurse at the hospital told us you'd love the hair salon one day since you enjoyed having the water poured over your head. Now you seem to enjoy every moment of bath time and it's a good way to tire you out for a good nap. You still get cold easily when we're putting lotion on so I always wrap you in a very warm blanket right afterward. You are so snuggly and smell so wonderful after your baths!

You made your first road trip at just under 4 weeks old. You attended your first wedding that weekend and met many of our friends. You are a perfect little traveler!

Your sisters really love you. Jaden did ask me a few times early in the month why I only cared about you and not them anymore, but she's getting used to having you around. I've explained that you need things from Mommy and Daddy a lot right now, but that you'll grow up and be less "needy" as the weeks go by. She seems to have embraced you, needs and all, and Sienna is your "2nd mommy." You are so blessed to have 2 big sisters to look after you, help you to learn and grow, and to play with you. I hope that the three of you will be best friends as you grow up together :)

You are the best little baby we could've ever imagined having. This past month has been incredible and we look forward to many more months enjoying you. I feel so blessed to be your mommy. Happy 1 month birthday Bristol Grace!!

Comments

The Cherrys said…
Love these pics!! So so cute!!
Life Happens said…
What a beautiful post to capture Bristol's first month!

Popular Posts