7 years ago today...
I lost three friends who meant a lot. I shared some photos of them a year ago which you can see here. The three friends who passed away were Erin, Christine and Andrea; they were my friends, my housemates, my sorority sisters and they passed in a horrific fire in a campus house at OSU.
Seven years later we still are looking for answers--who did it and what their motivation was. Today it is clear that the answers to these questions do not matter, yet it would mean a little something for justice to be served.
A few weeks ago at our church our pastor spoke of fairness. I have come to accept that life in general is anything but fair and that we aren't guaranteed anything. Is it fair that someone started a fire that took the lives of my three friends and two guys we knew? NO. Is it fair that the person who did this is walking free? NO. Is it fair that five young people, just starting their adult lives and working towards making their dreams come true, were taken from us so suddenly? NO. Is it fair that I didn't get to say goodbye in person or at least make it known to them how much they meant to me? NO.
But these things don't matter. What matters is that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt the hearts of each of these friends; I know where they are today and I know I will see them all again one day. What matters is that because of what happened, my life was forever changed and I will never take advantage of the precious gift of life ever again. What matters is that through this tragedy people were brought together, bonds were formed and friendships became stronger. What matters is that I know my friends are looking down on me today and on all those who are thinking of them today with a smile. What matters is that because of this situation, I am a better person, always striving with each passing day to be better than I was before.
Erin, Christine & Andrea--you are forever missed. You are forever loved. My memories with you are still so strong. You each made a difference in my life through the good laughs we shared, the late night talks, the fun sorority events we attended together, the walks through campus, the ice cream @ Oasis, the talks of the future, the days spent shopping, the meals we ate, the "pebble beach" chats, the formals, the socials, the drives to and from OU, the cars we valeted "just because," the moments that in passing seemed meaningless that have now become such fond sources of memory for me. You are a part of who I am today because I once was touched by your spirits. Thank you :)
Sending love to the families and friends of the five friends lost on 04.13.03...you are being thought of today!
Seven years later we still are looking for answers--who did it and what their motivation was. Today it is clear that the answers to these questions do not matter, yet it would mean a little something for justice to be served.
A few weeks ago at our church our pastor spoke of fairness. I have come to accept that life in general is anything but fair and that we aren't guaranteed anything. Is it fair that someone started a fire that took the lives of my three friends and two guys we knew? NO. Is it fair that the person who did this is walking free? NO. Is it fair that five young people, just starting their adult lives and working towards making their dreams come true, were taken from us so suddenly? NO. Is it fair that I didn't get to say goodbye in person or at least make it known to them how much they meant to me? NO.
But these things don't matter. What matters is that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt the hearts of each of these friends; I know where they are today and I know I will see them all again one day. What matters is that because of what happened, my life was forever changed and I will never take advantage of the precious gift of life ever again. What matters is that through this tragedy people were brought together, bonds were formed and friendships became stronger. What matters is that I know my friends are looking down on me today and on all those who are thinking of them today with a smile. What matters is that because of this situation, I am a better person, always striving with each passing day to be better than I was before.
Erin, Christine & Andrea--you are forever missed. You are forever loved. My memories with you are still so strong. You each made a difference in my life through the good laughs we shared, the late night talks, the fun sorority events we attended together, the walks through campus, the ice cream @ Oasis, the talks of the future, the days spent shopping, the meals we ate, the "pebble beach" chats, the formals, the socials, the drives to and from OU, the cars we valeted "just because," the moments that in passing seemed meaningless that have now become such fond sources of memory for me. You are a part of who I am today because I once was touched by your spirits. Thank you :)
Sending love to the families and friends of the five friends lost on 04.13.03...you are being thought of today!


Comments