And suddenly it's March...
I have been a horrible blogger. I let myself down and I hate that. I have had the worst writers block of my entire life because my pictures aren't always off my nice camera, my days don't seem that significant, and I'm just in a writing funk!! Ugh :(
Last week Scott and I went to Telluride, Colorado. We flew there exactly one year to the day as when I took an air ambulance home after my major ski accident there. I'm so glad that I went to the place that I loved before because I love it again. I think had I waited another year to go there would've been a stigma associated to Telluride in my mind and I'm glad there is not.
It was a relaxing week for me. Though I did not ski I had plenty to do. I took several books to read and catalogs to browse through, so in between looking in the shops in town, having lunch in the mountain village, working out and meeting people I had talked with over the phone I was happily occupied.
I got to meet Stacy who I spoke with many times throughout the criminal trial of the guy who hit me on the ski slope's. She was even more wonderful in person than she ever had been on the phone and I was so glad to see her in person. She pulled up a chair and immediately for me to sit down and ignored her phone hasn't rang throughout our entire visit. She did not want me to leave but I felt bad keeping her from her work!
It's not every day that the director of ski patrol and the Vice President of Telluride Ski Resort track you down, meet you with tears in their eyes, give you as many hugs as they can, and then pay for your party's lunch. They made sure to tell me all about the improved safety measures--there are tons and Scott had told me about them the first day he skied. I was amazed, humbled!
And then there was this:
On one of our last evening there, the ski patrol had a social in my honor. It was so nice to see people who had been at the accident, who had helped me and who had heard about it. At one point I said to Scott on my right hand side that I loved the hat one of the patrolman was wearing. He said it was for sale on the mountain and I intended on asking him to buy me one. However one of the ski patrol heard me talk about it and immediately brought me a piece of paper and asked where they could send me a hat. They were all so kind, but this was above and beyond!
Early on after the accident I hated Telluride. My entire life had been forever changed there. But then I realized Scott will always want to go to his Dad's place there and it's not the town's fault. While visiting there last week, there were people who I could tell had heard the story and did not think I was innocent and that was hard. There are stories and rumors that we know are false and that my injuries prove to be false, but people still want to be on the guy who hit me's side so they believe him and his friends. Like that I was sitting on the run--anything to make him seem like he should not be at fault. Oh well, we were there and they weren't! I was the one crashed into at 50mph by what I never imagined to be a human being. I was the one who flew through the air 50ft and then slid uncontrollably another 60ft. I was the one who almost died. People can believe what they want--true or false. It's hard to be condemned for falsities but the same thing happened to Christ! And it was far more intense of disbelief and condemnation! It's hard and not human nature but I've accepted and moved on with many smiles. Let people believe what they want to, for their opinions will never be swayed, and the truth shall prevail in the end.
Perhaps the best part of this journey was that I got to fly home on my planned commercial flight and great my children with hugs and kisses afterwards. I think they needed that. I needed that. They saw that mommy went to Telluride and came home when she was supposed to. They saw that I came home without injury and that I was very much ME.
I have been told time and time again that I was very brave to go back to that place where my life changed drastically. I honestly do not see that. I am flattered by the compliments, but I was just enjoying seeing the people that I saw and relaxing when I could. It was a good week. I am so glad that I went :)
















Comments